Puzzle GP Round 4

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by pinkagape »

I haven’t tried the cube ones yet. I wanted to ask about the Masyu nets. Does that rule turn into something else, or am I going to have to look at a net and see what loops I can draw on it?

This round looks dangerously inaccessible to casual solvers.
Puzzle_Maestro
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon 11 Mar, 2019 5:23 pm

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by Puzzle_Maestro »

If you identify the pairs of edges that correspond to each other on the nets, the extra constraint is basically just that each pair of edges either has both edges crossed or neither edge crossed. (Strictly speaking you also need to ensure exactly 1 loop on each net)

A consequence of this is for any L-triomino in a net, you can draw a diagonal line in the cell missing from the 2x2. The loop must "reflect" off this line if it enters the cell.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by pinkagape »

Thank you! That’s perfect.
Mblount
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu 21 Jun, 2018 5:59 pm

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by Mblount »

Does anyone have any tips for working with the dice nets in the second half of the set? I've experimented with labelling the vertices to help quickly identify which edges map to each other (and whether they are flipped), and copying the face on the end of the 4x3 T-shaped net to make a 5x5 X shaped one (which I thought might be particularly useful for star battles), but I'm still finding the geometry hard to work with.
Calump
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue 14 Jun, 2022 10:27 pm

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by Calump »

The instructions do give an exception to the normal rules in that you can use scissors to cut out the nets, which might help with visualisation.
For the star battle I coloured each region which made it a little clearer.

Although now that the points totals are out I see that you can get up to 724 without touching any of the cube stuff in the second half, so I might just try that.
pinkagape
Posts: 841
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: Puzzle GP Round 4

Post by pinkagape »

I thought Valentin’s plan of marking them like sudo-kurve was a pretty good plan. I solved the tapa doing that.
Post Reply