Page 1 of 1

UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Fri 29 May, 2020 10:01 pm
by detuned
This is the discussion thread for the 2020 UK Sudoku Championship. The 2020 World Sudoku Championships originally planned to take place in Shanghai, China have been postponed until 2021. As such it is uncertain what bearing this contest will have on UK team selection. It is likely to have at least some influence if the postponed World Championships happen before the 2021 edition of the UK Sudoku Championship.

Duration: 2 hours
Dates: Friday 12th - Monday 15th June 2020
Contest Page: https://ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=57
Instruction Booklet: https://ukpuzzles.org/file_download.php ... c762c9530e

Please post any questions about the competition here.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Mon 08 Jun, 2020 6:24 pm
by detuned
The instructions are now live here: [link to previous version of instructions removed, please see below]

Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to finalise the points distribution, as I work to incorporate all the testing feedback. An updated version of the instructions will be available by Wednesday evening.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Wed 10 Jun, 2020 11:27 pm
by detuned
I hope it's a good sign that there are no questions so far!

The points distribution has now been added to the instructions. These can be found here:

https://ukpuzzles.org/file_download.php ... c762c9530e

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Thu 11 Jun, 2020 9:11 pm
by detuned
I received the following question by email:
hi Tom,

hope you are well.
for tomorrow's Sudoku championship there are variants - one of them is
Linked Sudoku.
my question is:
since we have to provide answers as 2 strings A (horizontal) and
B(vertical)
should the horizontal string (A) include both halves? ie left half and
right half?

could you please clarify?
thanks
N
Any "row" answer code for the linked 6x6 will refer to exactly one of the two grids.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Fri 12 Jun, 2020 6:45 pm
by rob
Just FYI, looks like the "Contest discussion" link to this thread on the contest page is broken (the & is HTML-encoded).

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Mon 15 Jun, 2020 8:42 pm
by petpar55@gmail.com
I can not found password to open puyyles!!!

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Tue 16 Jun, 2020 12:07 am
by gareth
petpar55@gmail.com wrote: ↑Mon 15 Jun, 2020 8:42 pm I can not found password to open puyyles!!!
Go to the contest page linked at the very top of the thread above, then click 'Open Page' to the right of 'Answer Submission Page'. Then click 'START NOW' to get the password. Your timer will begin at that point.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Tue 16 Jun, 2020 5:35 am
by gaurav.kjain
Puzzle quality is one of the best I have seen in competitions. Thanks Tom. Hope I could reach this quality of authorship.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Tue 16 Jun, 2020 10:24 am
by rob
I agree, that was a lovely set, thanks for the puzzles and running the competition!

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Tue 16 Jun, 2020 11:04 am
by detuned
Credit for the puzzles also goes to Sam Cappleman Lynes - having a wider range of puzzles to consider for the set maybe made things more difficult, but on reflection it’s a nice problem to have!

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Tue 16 Jun, 2020 6:25 pm
by kumaresan R
puzzles were very nice solving path and difficulty level is good for the contest... thanks to Sam and for the good contest..... Kumaresan.R

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Wed 17 Jun, 2020 1:03 pm
by kousek-nebe
Amazing puzzles! Thank you, guys.

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Thu 25 Jun, 2020 4:20 am
by sstackho
Great set of puzzles. Will a solutions booklet (or answer keys) be made available?

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2020

Posted: Wed 02 Sep, 2020 7:42 pm
by nickdeller
Having a tidy up around the house at the moment and polishing off some of the puzzles that I didn't solve or attempt during various competitions - really, really enjoyed the Killer especially in this one, although there's no way I'd have tackled it under time pressure. Absolutely lovely piece of work - thank you.