Page 1 of 1

Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 25 Dec, 2010 1:26 pm
by yureklis
Our "Tapa Variations" contest series are going to continue. The contests will last four weeks, one small contest each week, in February 2011. Contests will be held on saturdays as usual, on OAPC site, and will last 75 minutes. There will be winners of every week, and at the end of the month there will be a Tapa variations winner, determined with the sum of points earned in all four weeks. Winner of 2010 was Nikola Zivanovic from Serbia.

We would be pleased to receive any ideas on possible Tapa variations. If you have such ideas, please inform us so we can prepare puzzles of those types as well.

TVC V will be held at 5th of February 2011, 16:00 GMT.
http://www.wpc2009.org/forum/index.php


Serkan Yurekli: yureklis(at)gmail.com
Gulce Ozkutuk Yurekli: gulceozkutuk(at)gmail.com

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 1:33 pm
by yureklis
Contest has moved! Check LMI page for details: http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... asp?fid=41

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 2:06 pm
by Mephisto
"Check LMI page for details: http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... asp?fid=41"
->
"This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 2:49 pm
by yureklis
Mephisto wrote: "This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."
Yes this section would not be open to public until I make the announcements, now waiting for the admins to make the thread visible :)

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Thu 20 Jan, 2011 5:32 pm
by debmohanty
yureklis wrote:
Mephisto wrote: "This section of the BBS is restricted to specific user accounts. Please return to the BBS."
Yes this section would not be open to public until I make the announcements, now waiting for the admins to make the thread visible :)
The section is now open to all.

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 4:32 pm
by yureklis
Instruction Booklet of TVC V has been published at http://logicmastersindia.com/TVC/V/

If you have any question, please use TVC Forum at LMI

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 05 Feb, 2011 1:15 am
by debmohanty

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:14 pm
by drsteve
Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

Otherwise, I would have beaten Hideaki!!!

Mustn't grumble, but still...

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 05 Feb, 2011 9:24 pm
by yureklis
drsteve wrote:Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

Otherwise, I would have beaten Hideaki!!!

Mustn't grumble, but still...
:) Yes you are right about Hideaki :) I am watching almost everyone's performance during the contest, and really, it is so fun. I watched your performance too. I said myself, wooovv! You were really really good in the test. And of course as you said you lost most valuable points because of tiny little typo mistake. But anyway you were great!

Best,

Serkan

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Sat 05 Feb, 2011 10:17 pm
by drsteve
yureklis wrote:
drsteve wrote:Loads of fun, except for world's most annoying typo when entering a solution.

Otherwise, I would have beaten Hideaki!!!

Mustn't grumble, but still...
:) Yes you are right about Hideaki :) I am watching almost everyone's performance during the contest, and really, it is so fun. I watched your performance too. I said myself, wooovv! You were really really good in the test. And of course as you said you lost most valuable points because of tiny little typo mistake. But anyway you were great!

Best,

Serkan
Thanks for the kind words, Serkan. Looking forward to the next rounds.

Steve

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 1:22 am
by sf2l
really a great score Steve, well done

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 6:52 am
by drsteve
sf2l wrote:really a great score Steve, well done
Thanks, Stefano, but as is always the way, it could have been better without a typo on Possible A and a careless mistake right at the end of Filler. That's my first top ten, though, so pleased with it regardless.

Quite a low entry from the UK though - quite a lot of familiar names missing. Is that an aversion to Tapa or a lack of time to do the competitions in?

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 9:26 am
by david mcneill
Steve,

That was a great performance by you. Many congratulations. These were true WPC standard puzzles. Tapa is not a puzzle type I am good at, but I don't think there were any easy points to be had here. Sorry you lost some points which would have placed you even higher.

David McNeill.

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 12:51 pm
by detuned
drsteve wrote:
sf2l wrote:really a great score Steve, well done
Thanks, Stefano, but as is always the way, it could have been better without a typo on Possible A and a careless mistake right at the end of Filler. That's my first top ten, though, so pleased with it regardless.

Quite a low entry from the UK though - quite a lot of familiar names missing. Is that an aversion to Tapa or a lack of time to do the competitions in?
Lack of time here, I also missed out on the sudokcup, starting the test with 5 minutes before the thing closed. Still managed to get one answer out to not totally embarass myself :roll:

Edit: I've now had a go at this, and am tentatively claiming 512 points. I thought I'd have struggled more than that with Tapa, but there were definitely some nice puzzles. The pick for me was Tapa star - after hitting a (metaphorical ;) ) wall I decided to go play Doppelstern with it, and to my great surprise found that I could fill in all the stars. With the extra wall information that gave me the puzzle quickly fell.

Great performance from Steve, and Thomas once again appears to be on another planet. Although I can kinda see what he means with the intuitive nature the way these puzzles go - e.g. the word Tapa I thought were very quick points.

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 4:22 pm
by PuzzleScot
Time here too. I struggled to find the 90 minutes for Puzzle Fountain. I'd worked through most of the examples for TVC5, and felt I'd have been able to have a good crack at most. Shame. Perhaps these contests should last a week rather than a weekend?

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 5:01 pm
by yureklis
PuzzleScot wrote:... Perhaps these contests should last a week rather than a weekend?
Interesting idea! Actually i like that. Maybe weekend online contest can last from friday to monday. I am surprised of not giving a thought about it until now! Interesting...

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Mon 07 Feb, 2011 11:57 pm
by ronaldx
Agreed - I often work weekends and don't have time to play Sat/Sun. Sometimes I am ready to play late on Sunday but there is not enough time to fit it in.

Re: Tapa Variations Contest V

Posted: Thu 10 Feb, 2011 12:46 am
by gareth
Yes, I'd enter far more contests if you could play during the week. Weekends are usually not practical.