2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
puzzlemad
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by puzzlemad »

This is the discussion thread for the 2025 UK Puzzle Championship.

Duration: Two rounds both 90 mins long
Dates: Friday 27th - Monday 30th June 2025
Contest Pages: Round 1: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=73
Round 2: https://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=74
Instruction Booklet: Now available from either competition thread. Points still to be finalised.

Please post any questions about the competition here.
pinkagape
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by pinkagape »

These look exciting! Thanks Liane!

Are the examples for Pentopia Missing Arrows and Sum Box correct? I don’t see any missing arrows in the former and I might just be mixing myself up, but I thought I did a Sum Box the other day and it was nothing like the puzzle shown for Sum Box here.
puzzlemad
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by puzzlemad »

pinkagape wrote: ↑Mon 23 Jun, 2025 3:58 am These look exciting! Thanks Liane!

Are the examples for Pentopia Missing Arrows and Sum Box correct? I don’t see any missing arrows in the former and I might just be mixing myself up, but I thought I did a Sum Box the other day and it was nothing like the puzzle shown for Sum Box here.
Pentopia MA Eg.jpg
Pentopia MA Eg.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 147225 times
Apologies for that - correct Pentopia Missing Arrows example here - will put in the main booklet.
Sum Box is the correct example. It is the name that the author sent with the puzzle and their example too.
pinkagape
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon 30 Apr, 2012 4:11 pm

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by pinkagape »

Thanks for the quick response.
kiwijam
Posts: 787
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by kiwijam »

Magic Pyramid: Is 23451 also a valid answer?
puzzlemad
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by puzzlemad »

kiwijam wrote: ↑Mon 23 Jun, 2025 9:03 am Magic Pyramid: Is 23451 also a valid answer?
Correct. The competition puzzle is unique
puzzlemad
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by puzzlemad »

Points now added to the IB and the correct example for the Pentomino (Missing Arrows) added.
professorX
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon 03 Jun, 2019 7:30 am

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by professorX »

Is the kropki scrabble puzzle correct for sure? I keep breaking it ...
kiwijam
Posts: 787
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by kiwijam »

Yes, it has a unique solution.
We can share it with you after the contest ends.
It was my favourite puzzle of the set.
professorX
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon 03 Jun, 2019 7:30 am

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by professorX »

Solved it! Good puzzle

Although I wouldn't agree on the wording of the rules .... it could be better worded 😀
jeremiahsjohnson
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri 27 Jun, 2025 9:02 pm

Re: 2025 UK Puzzle Championship

Post by jeremiahsjohnson »

I agree, I got to the Kropki solution - which was impressive - eventually but spent a lot of time during the puzzle wondering whether a portion of a word between two dots was considered a 'segment' - so therefore the words going between two white dots would have to be five letters long to be 2-1-2. Unfortunately the instructions did not disambiguate.
Post Reply