New Zealand puzzle team

Discuss all puzzle-related subject here
Post Reply
kiwijam
Posts: 787
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

New Zealand puzzle team

Post by kiwijam »

There were rumours that an unknown team of New Zealanders were planning to go to Bangalore.
This has now been confirmed in our national newspaper this morning.
Unfortunately I didn't qualify. :(
Not that there were 'qualifications' in the usual sense.
But the reporter did track me down via Prasanna for some handy tips.

There's even a light-hearted video, showing off their formidable knowledge...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/puzzl ... s-to-india
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by PuzzleScot »

Brilliant. Now you just need to see if you can qualify for the UK team!

"Simon O'Donnell will be driving from London to Bangalore".?
kiwijam
Posts: 787
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by kiwijam »

PuzzleScot wrote:"Simon O'Donnell will be driving from London to Bangalore".?
Yeah, I spent some time thinking about that sentence. There's a few war zones in between that I'd steer well clear of. Perhaps some well-placed ferry trips can cover a good percentage of it?
You could travel with your kinsman Alan!
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by PuzzleScot »

Hmm. Let me think about that
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by PuzzleScot »

Nah.
tamz29
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by tamz29 »

As a potential future team-NZ member, my initial excitement was washed away when I read what they're actually about.
I see a group of non-necessarily-puzzle-solving friends, starting a "company" just to earn the rights to represent NZ at WSC/WPC.

I'd be surprised if they've solved anything beyond Sudokus before.
Negativity aside, I hope this is the first step towards introducing puzzles to NZ.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by PuzzleScot »

As I said in a speech once (if anyone was listening), most people do not attend the WPC with any expectation of winning.
They attend because it is a gathering of like-minded people, and is a very enjoyable experience.

Anyone who has been to a WPC will testify this. (Not sure if the WSC is in the same category. I may be wrong)
I'm sure the NZ team will find their way to the UK/Aus table in their own time, and be very welcomed.
I'm also sure that their flippant attitude will only add to the experience for everyone.

Finally, if there are any (ahem) serious puzzlers in NZ, they will rise to the A team quickly, as it is a requirement of WPF membership that Open qualifying tournaments are held. This is all good. I'd like to see Tonga, Samoa and Fiji send teams too on the back of this publicity, but be prepared for a parallel rugby 7s tournament while the football is on! (again, only a good thing ;) )
User avatar
furudo.erika
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed 10 Aug, 2011 11:55 am

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by furudo.erika »

Nice tips James, even if the reporter does appear to have struggled with counting them ;)
emma
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by emma »

To be fair, because James has competed for the UK, they were probably unaware of any other New Zealanders interested - although the reporter obviously managed to find out about James from Prasanna, and James (and somebody else - one of the team?) have competed in the Grand Prix under New Zealand.

Perhaps new member organisations should be obliged to solicit participation from anyone registered in the Grand Prix from their country, as well as any WPF personal members.

We shall see whether James scores more than the rest of his compatriots put together...
kiwijam
Posts: 787
Joined: Wed 01 Jun, 2011 10:03 am

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by kiwijam »

emma wrote:We shall see whether James scores more than the rest of his compatriots put together...
I accept your challenge! (actually I expect me vs 4 could be a close battle)
The other recent NZ entrant in the GP and UKPC is a work colleague (Ross) of mine that I am encouraging.
None of the 'true' NZ WSC/WPC team members have ever entered an online contest...
emma
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed 22 Jun, 2011 4:58 pm

Re: New Zealand puzzle team

Post by emma »

I seem to remember that in Kraljevika, Prasanna was a one-man UN team for the sudoku, and did very respectably.
Post Reply