UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

This is the discussion thread for the 2017 UK Sudoku Championship. It will also act as the second qualifier for the UK A team competing at the World Sudoku Championships in India to be held on the 15-19th October 2017.

Duration: 2 hours
Dates: Friday 9th - Monday 12th June
Contest Page: http://www.ukpuzzles.org/contests.php?contestid=42 (will go live soon, instructions to follow shortly)

Please post any questions about the competition here.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

Instructions are now available here:

UPDATE: now with points distribution

http://www.ukpuzzles.org/file_download. ... e7161b9110
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

Competition has started!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
DavidC
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by DavidC »

Hi Tom. This is a comment on the PDF answer format, not the sudoku itself. Sudoku 5 (Classic Sudoku) has r4 and r6 both marked as A. I naturally assumed r4=A and r6=B (top to bottom) and my answer has been accepted.
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

Thanks David, I'll look out for both "A,B" and "B,A" codes in the submitted entries. However, as you say, I'd expect common sense to prevail on this one.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Smat
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat 06 Nov, 2010 7:15 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by Smat »

Thanks for the nice puzzles!
stracti
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue 19 Apr, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by stracti »

I can't see puzzle booklet if I download it.... Only if I see it from the browser...
imdanrydell
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon 13 May, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by imdanrydell »

It's currently 00:45 AM BST (I believe), on Tuesday 13th June, and I'm not able to submit any more answers.
I started playing a few minutes before 23:55 BST.

Your guidebook says:
The championship will start at 12:00 BST (GMT+1), Friday 9th June 2017, when the password for the
PDF will be made available. Upon retrieving the password, you will have 2 hours to solve the puzzles
and submit your answers via the entry page. You will not be able to submit any answers after your
two hours are up. The championship will end at 01:55 BST (GMT+1), Tuesday 13th June; as such it
is highly recommended that you retrieve the password and start solving before 23:55 BST (GMT+1),
Monday 12th June.


Your Answer Submission Page says:
Contest End Time Mon 12 Jun 2017 23:55 GMT Last Submission received n/a
Time until contest starts CONTEST FINISHED


What did I misinterpret here?
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

Hi - sorry to hear about this mix up. I'll investigate this further, I might have made a mistake when setting the parameters in the competition engine.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

The contest is now finished, but unfortunately the bonuses have not yet been applied, so the final results table needs to be updated. Please bear with us!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
imdanrydell
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon 13 May, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by imdanrydell »

detuned wrote:Hi - sorry to hear about this mix up. I'll investigate this further, I might have made a mistake when setting the parameters in the competition engine.
No worries.

I'm a "foreigner", so my score won't count for anything in this competition besides vanity.
Although, I am pretty vain, and I'd like to know how I would've finished.
I got through 1,4,5,6,7,10,12,13,14,15. Time-stamped photographic evidence available :)

Thanks
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

I've just published the results - but if you send us the photo we can amend the table and you can take your rightful place in the table!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Magoo
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by Magoo »

Thanks for organising, Tom. A good set of puzzles, I felt, though it probably helped me that there was a bias towards what I think of as the older variants.
brady
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by brady »

Why are there still no solutions posted for the UKSC?
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by detuned »

Mainly because I haven't had time to do them - please bear in mind that I have to do all of this on my spare time. If there's interest I'll see if I can get something out this week
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
brady
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 2:29 pm

Re: UK Sudoku Championship 2017 / WSC Qualification

Post by brady »

When you get to it works for me - I'll keep checking back!
Post Reply