WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Post Reply
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

As previously advertised, I am in charge of things this year!

http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/sudoku-gp

Round 1 (Netherlands) instructions are now available. I will be answering questions on the WPF forum only.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
PuzzleScot
Site Admin
Posts: 2795
Joined: Fri 18 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by PuzzleScot »

Sudoku GP

1st round - 8.1. - 11.1.- Netherlands
2nd round - 5.2. - 8.2. - Serbia
3rd round - 4.3. - 7.3. - Czech republic
4th round - 1.4. - 4.4. - Russia
5th round - 29.4. - 2.5. - China
6th round - 27.5. - 30.5. - Japan
7th round - 24.6. - 27.6. - Italy
8th round - 22.7. - 25.7. - India

Puzzle GP

1st round - 22.1. - 25.1. - India
2nd round - 19.2. - 22.2. - Slovakia
3rd round - 18.3. - 21.3. - Germany
4th round - 15.4. - 18.4. - Hungary
5th round - 13.5. - 16.5. - USA
6th round - 10.6. - 13.6. - Serbia
7th round - 8.7. - 11.7. - Netherlands
8th round - 5.8. - 8.8. - Russia
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

Round 1 has begun - best of luck to all UK solvers!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Magoo
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by Magoo »

Round 1 seemed like a tough test to me. Impressive to get 458 scoring solvers, but the UK's efforts had a bit of a wan look; I guess that will always be the case if Tom is ruled out for organising, David for testing and Neil a no-show. Perhaps a shame to have the Mahabharat timing clash - I was quite glad to be able to fit both sessions in, though less glad that I must have messed up the last classic here. I only wasted five or six minutes on the Scattered, which solved beautifully after the event on my third go, once I understood how to go about it. I also gave up the non-consecutive after only a few minutes - I love these puzzles, but they're so hard to solve fast. Dodging the Consecutive Clone was more of a personal decision, based on a bad history with the one or two examples I've seen before, as it didn't seem too bad after the event. http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/node/1323?sort=body
puzzlemad
Posts: 1264
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 10:20 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by puzzlemad »

I intended to give it and the LMI a go, but time got the better of me this weekend.
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

Round 2 has begun - good luck to all UK solvers!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Magoo
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by Magoo »

Ouch! Awful one for me. Even if I had finished the 71-pointer that I spent so much time on, I wouldn't have caught Heather. Well done Heather, and David ... and indeed Mike.
DavidC
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed 03 Nov, 2010 9:34 pm

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by DavidC »

Thanks Mark - congratulations to Heather, yourself and everyone else on your performances. Fascinating last submission times !

David
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

Round 3 has begun - best of luck to all UK solvers!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

I didn't have time to post anything for Round 4 - Russia. Anyhow, Round 5 - China started on Friday, and is open through to Monday evening - start solving before 9.30pm.

Best of luck to all UK solvers!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Magoo
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu 09 Jun, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by Magoo »

Well done, Heather, and Sam. I didn't realise how badly I was doing. I shall put it down to the hard puzzles being pretty vicious this time, though it clearly didn't help that I forgot to enter puzzle 1 which I had solved before beginning the tougher ones.
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

Round 6 by Japan starts this weekend. The instructions have been published here, in case you haven't already seen:

http://gp.worldpuzzle.org/content/instruction-booklet
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned
Posts: 2474
Joined: Mon 21 Jun, 2010 2:25 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: WPF Sudoku GP 2016

Post by detuned »

Round 8 IB is ready and available here:

http://ukpuzzles.org/file_download.php? ... c3afe280fc
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
Post Reply