Search found 179 matches
- Tue 12 Apr, 2011 11:02 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
If the solving time is still in red writing, it hasn't yet been passed to the server - if you leave the applet before the writing turns white, your time won't be recorded. Know from experience 
- Mon 07 Mar, 2011 2:42 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
Berni - can I request a change to the Tapa applet?
it would be extremely useful to be able to place a 'cross' through the clue squares - otherwise it's very hard to check the solution.
Thanks for your time
Ronald
it would be extremely useful to be able to place a 'cross' through the clue squares - otherwise it's very hard to check the solution.
Thanks for your time
Ronald
- Sat 05 Mar, 2011 4:14 am
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
Dickoon - I lost access to the relevant puzzle but I think the squares you mentioned are the same as Nils explained... sorry. If you have a screenshot I will explain further. Not sure why C4 is listed twice in my walkthrough, I hope that's not a coordinate error. [Edit: it is, it should read uhh DEF...
- Thu 03 Mar, 2011 11:14 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
I labelled the columns 1-9 and the rows A-I Usually in a hard Doppelstar, the hard part is placing the first star. So, concentrate on squares you can cross I will list squares that you can cross through without explanation, in a reasonable order, split by reasoning. Hopefully they are correct coordi...
- Wed 02 Mar, 2011 1:17 am
- Forum: Announcements
- Topic: Clarifications & Change to terms and conditions (Nov 2010)
- Replies: 10
- Views: 34784
Re: Clarifications & Change to terms and conditions (Nov 201
Cool! Good to see a nice theory in practice 
If a spambot decides to start answering your question randomly (or worse - gets a human mark somewhere to unwittingly provide it the correct answer), then it looks like you'll still get a nasty spam hit rate. But if it doesn't - then, all's well
If a spambot decides to start answering your question randomly (or worse - gets a human mark somewhere to unwittingly provide it the correct answer), then it looks like you'll still get a nasty spam hit rate. But if it doesn't - then, all's well
- Sat 26 Feb, 2011 9:18 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
hehe congratulations Steve! welcome to the addicts!! 
- Wed 23 Feb, 2011 10:31 pm
- Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
- Topic: Akil Oyunlari puzzle magazines in English
- Replies: 12
- Views: 39456
Re: Akil Oyunlari puzzle magazines in English
wow that's amazing, thanks! It's still fun to figure them out without instructions 
- Sun 20 Feb, 2011 12:09 am
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
hehe you may have posted the wrong link but I saw that originally dickoon, great time! (oh no I see you mean the sidebar, hurray!) Also that's a lot of browser tabs! I had a nightmare on the Kakuro today... solved it bar 2 cells, then hit the wrong key, browser changed to another page, had to go bac...
- Fri 18 Feb, 2011 1:36 am
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
Dickoon: yes, I agree something odd is going on. The Japanese Sums of 17 Feb is a good example to test because 1) nobody above the median got a fehlversuch 2) the fehlversuch penalty worked out to be more than 5 mins meaning the fehlversuch penalty has no effect on the median Here the "Technisc...
- Tue 15 Feb, 2011 4:28 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: Kropki
- Replies: 15
- Views: 82870
Re: Kropki
I think you can trademark a name, assuming certain conditions, and you have to apply for a trademark of the word you want to use - which has to not otherwise be used in the context of puzzles and the trademark is considered by a jury and as such has to be paid for. You have automatic (free) copyrigh...
- Mon 14 Feb, 2011 5:29 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: Kropki
- Replies: 15
- Views: 82870
Re: Kropki
Surely just changing the name wouldn't affect the copyright though. Either it's a KenKen or it's not because the rules are different I might be wrong about this but I think the name 'KenKen' is trademarked. I don't think you can copyright the concept of a puzzle? Although perhaps you can copyright ...
- Thu 10 Feb, 2011 9:43 pm
- Forum: Welcome!
- Topic: Introduction DDG29
- Replies: 2
- Views: 16983
Re: Introduction DDG29
I don't know if anyone replied to this privately, but I'm sure that the UKPA would appreciate the opportunity to try out some puzzles.
I most likely won't be there, but try e-mailing your suggestion/puzzles to Alan: chairman@ukpuzzles.org
Thanks!!
Ronald
I most likely won't be there, but try e-mailing your suggestion/puzzles to Alan: chairman@ukpuzzles.org
Thanks!!
Ronald
- Thu 10 Feb, 2011 9:42 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
sounds like a problem with Java in IE. try updating IE and updating Java, and restarting?
- Thu 10 Feb, 2011 1:27 am
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
and misko and Uhu and flooser and Semax do well at sudoku. but i was picking all-rounders who often play close to midnight 
- Wed 09 Feb, 2011 10:20 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
hmm, making the puzzle bigger seemed to make a big difference. I'm at the top of the list!
Or, perhaps... Hausigel, uvo, pwahs, Calavera etc are late today.
Or, perhaps... Hausigel, uvo, pwahs, Calavera etc are late today.
- Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:50 am
- Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
- Topic: Fiendish Futoshiki
- Replies: 1
- Views: 11012
Re: Fiendish Futoshiki
Cute puzzle, thanks! Very interesting method, recommended 
- Wed 09 Feb, 2011 12:14 am
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
Croco Puzzle has been hurting my eyes in recent days. Some of the puzzles come up simply too small - I can't see the puzzle, never mind any notation marks that I want to make (e.g. "8-9"). Any tips? Increasing the browser zoom doesn't seem to affect the size of the applet. Not having much ...
- Mon 07 Feb, 2011 11:57 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Tapa Variations Contest V
- Replies: 17
- Views: 48137
Re: Tapa Variations Contest V
Agreed - I often work weekends and don't have time to play Sat/Sun. Sometimes I am ready to play late on Sunday but there is not enough time to fit it in.
- Sat 22 Jan, 2011 9:14 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: General Puzzle Rules & Definitions
- Replies: 15
- Views: 69737
Re: General Puzzle Rules & Definitions
Don't really agree at all - it's better to have a discussion like this with an active editor (admittedly it requires someone to take charge) rather than anyone being able to change and overwrite good work.It strikes me that this would all be much better in a wiki environment!
- Wed 19 Jan, 2011 5:48 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: Masyu
- Replies: 10
- Views: 52134
Re: Masyu
Assuming that the parallel/perpendicular rule is not stated, can you make a diagonal Masyu that is unique, i.e. that doesn't have an alternative solution with parallel/perpendicular lines? Presumably it's possible to follow all the other rules and come up with a loop with lines at 45 degree diagonal...
- Fri 14 Jan, 2011 3:19 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Prime Exotica
- Replies: 12
- Views: 35869
Re: Prime Exotica
sounds fun, thanks!
- Thu 13 Jan, 2011 9:02 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
berni - your website is really excellent and this loyalty and growth is enviable and a credit to your hard work.
I'm sure croco-puzzle will continue to grow
and I hope you get some reward for this!!
I'm sure croco-puzzle will continue to grow
- Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:56 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: Kropki
- Replies: 15
- Views: 82870
Re: Kropki
By the consensus definition, anything with third constraint is a sudoku variant...? Kropki doesn't apply third constraint to all cells, so isn't a sudoku variant by that definition, if we accept that. Kropki sudoku does apply third constraint to all cells, so is a sudoku variant Kropki itself is so ...
- Wed 12 Jan, 2011 10:43 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Links
- Topic: croco-puzzle
- Replies: 696
- Views: 2454882
Re: croco-puzzle
Is 397 players (so far on the Hashi) a record?
- Wed 12 Jan, 2011 12:03 am
- Forum: General Puzzle Discussions
- Topic: Google Goggle Sudoku/Radio Interview
- Replies: 5
- Views: 17757
Google Goggle Sudoku/Radio Interview
Our illustrious leader Alan O'Donnell was on Radio 5 this afternoon, talking about the news that Google Goggles will now solve sudokus they see...! (i.e. cheating just became extremely simple)
Link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070lvr - 11th January 2011 edition
He's introduced around 27:40
Link:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070lvr - 11th January 2011 edition
He's introduced around 27:40