Search found 109 matches
- Mon 17 Aug, 2026 9:12 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
- Replies: 77
- Views: 812450
Re: Puzzles at the Mind Sports Olympiad in London on Sunday
Thanks for mentioning Tom. I think I'll participate in the Sudoku & Killer Sudoku, and probably the chess problem solving in the morning as well.
- Thu 23 Apr, 2026 9:30 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Puzzle GP Round 4
- Replies: 5
- Views: 38303
Re: Puzzle GP Round 4
If you identify the pairs of edges that correspond to each other on the nets, the extra constraint is basically just that each pair of edges either has both edges crossed or neither edge crossed. (Strictly speaking you also need to ensure exactly 1 loop on each net) A consequence of this is for any ...
- Tue 24 Feb, 2026 8:10 am
- Forum: Daily Puzzles
- Topic: Puzzle Duel
- Replies: 39
- Views: 493015
Re: Puzzle Duel
Thinking about where to place the I was the key for me. It's perhaps helpful to think about this in tandem with placing the six pentominoes with a 3x3 bounding box (F,T,X,Z,V,W). Intuitively, both horizontal placements of the I create 2xn area in the bottom rows (which can't contain a 3x3 pento) and...
- Thu 30 Oct, 2025 9:09 am
- Forum: Daily Puzzles
- Topic: Linked In Mini Sudoku
- Replies: 15
- Views: 171989
Re: Linked In Mini Sudoku
I've never had that issue, I imagine it's device-dependent (I'm using safari on iOS 26.0.1). There might be a way to disable it in settings?
- Wed 29 Oct, 2025 4:31 pm
- Forum: Daily Puzzles
- Topic: Linked In Mini Sudoku
- Replies: 15
- Views: 171989
Re: Linked In Mini Sudoku
I'll have to start using a laptop for the mini sudoku and the crossclimb now 
- Mon 02 Jan, 2023 4:46 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2022 US Puzzle Championship
- Replies: 2
- Views: 8310
Re: 2022 US Puzzle Championship
I'm pretty sure the practice test has consisted of the same few puzzles for some years now, so nothing to do with this year's championship at all.
- Sun 27 Jun, 2021 1:45 pm
- Forum: Puzzle (incl. Sudoku) Rules & Tips
- Topic: Taca
- Replies: 2
- Views: 71795
Re: Taca
To clarify, this round's taca does indeed follow the rule that the clue must be placed in the first unshaded cell, contrary to the last time taca appeared.
- Tue 22 Jun, 2021 10:26 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
Agreed re. presentation of words. I ended up rewriting the list ordered by length on a separate piece of paper for the meandering wordsearch. Somewhat ironic that this rather unnoteworthy theme was deemed worthy of preserving whereas the highly impressive 'magic square' theme of the Hiroimonos last ...
- Sat 19 Jun, 2021 7:11 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: UK Puzzle Championship 2021
- Replies: 20
- Views: 115647
Re: UK Puzzle Championship 2021
10,11. Castle walls: the example answer keys contain O instead of X.
19. Coral: the example answer key has an extra X at the beginning.
19. Coral: the example answer key has an extra X at the beginning.
- Sun 23 May, 2021 8:12 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Logic Masters Online (German puzzle championship 2021)
- Replies: 1
- Views: 10292
Re: Logic Masters Online
Instructions are available here: https://bit.ly/3fBXexL
Alternatively, see the following thread: http://forum.logic-masters.de/showthread.php?tid=1950
Alternatively, see the following thread: http://forum.logic-masters.de/showthread.php?tid=1950
- Thu 20 May, 2021 5:23 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: UKPA Masyu Contest 14 May - 19 May 2021
- Replies: 16
- Views: 75712
Re: UKPA Masyu Contest 14 May - 19 May 2021
Perhaps a small point of interest: the rankings at the top are very similar to those of PR round 2 (loops). Namely, the contestants in positions 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,12 in this contest are roughly around the same position in both contests. I don't think I've seen such similarity between two contests before!
- Thu 20 May, 2021 10:18 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
It's worth mentioning that high-pointers are frequently overvalued, eg the variant yinyang in R2 and the no-Swiss slitherlink in R4. So it may well be worth going for the double choco and the maxi loop first.
- Thu 20 May, 2021 7:00 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
If you want practice in the genre, head over to puzz.link. There are a few there under the name 'goishi'.
- Tue 11 May, 2021 9:48 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Logic Masters Online (German puzzle championship 2021)
- Replies: 1
- Views: 10292
Logic Masters Online (German puzzle championship 2021)
Just to note that the Logic Masters (aka the German puzzle championship) is happening online on the 5th of June, which is a Saturday, coinciding with the next sudoku GP weekend. It'll be a whole-day event with ten 45-minute rounds, of which each person skips one (I believe). Might be a good date to ...
- Fri 07 May, 2021 11:59 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: UKPA Masyu Contest 14 May - 19 May 2021
- Replies: 16
- Views: 75712
Re: UKPA Masyu Contest 14 May - 17 May 2021
That is a valid method of solving, but it may not be the most fun. An important pattern to be aware of here is the 'horseshoe' as I call it; if we have a U formed by three segments of length 2, there cannot be a circle in the gap. Note that R6C3 being white forces this pattern above. There is anothe...
- Tue 27 Apr, 2021 12:02 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
I purposely spent several extra seconds on each puzzle checking diligently, so I'm relieved that it paid off. Hopefully my error streak for this year has come to an end now...
- Wed 21 Apr, 2021 3:34 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
That would break the 4-way clue.
- Thu 15 Apr, 2021 10:11 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Tapa Variations Contest
- Replies: 1
- Views: 10677
Re: Tapa Variations Contest
I think I can be confident in that it was unanimously found to be a very tough set. It's understandable for the organizers to up the difficulty from the previous series (given the general improvement in speed) but it was quite overdone.
- Wed 24 Mar, 2021 8:27 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
I’ve constructed a Nurikabe battleships, if anyone wants to try. Probably quite tough (80 points?): https://git.io/JYeyw
- Sat 20 Mar, 2021 10:59 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Divisions A and B 2020-2021
- Replies: 68
- Views: 285258
Re: Divisions A and B 2020-2021
Yeah, David definitely has a chance to claim 4th/5th place. 3rd is still theoretically possible but he’d have to solve at an absolutely blazing pace!
- Tue 16 Mar, 2021 6:30 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
Preliminary results for round 3:
19. Sam Cappleman-Lynes 602.2
23. Tom Collyer 564
40. Freddie Hand 504
An unfortunate error from Sam, though one which costed only a single place. This felt like a relatively easier round, with a high number of scores in the low 500's.
19. Sam Cappleman-Lynes 602.2
23. Tom Collyer 564
40. Freddie Hand 504
An unfortunate error from Sam, though one which costed only a single place. This felt like a relatively easier round, with a high number of scores in the low 500's.
- Sun 14 Mar, 2021 10:58 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Division C 2020-2021
- Replies: 29
- Views: 127152
Re: Division C 2020-2021
Both are unique if you clarify a certain number of mines. Triangular with 6, socially distanced with 4.
- Wed 10 Mar, 2021 8:58 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: Divisions A and B 2020-2021
- Replies: 68
- Views: 285258
Re: Divisions A and B 2020-2021
Are you going to penalise errors, and if so, by what amount? Due to the nature of the interface it is very possible to register an error just due to an edge/digit/other object having been missed and not an actual solving mistake; it might be possible to consider an ‘honesty error’ system here.
- Thu 04 Mar, 2021 9:17 am
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
I re-attempted the SPOLICY’s and indeed they presented little trouble to me (I don’t think I benefited from recollection). It might have been that I’d managed to convince myself of a particular incorrect placement in both puzzles.
- Wed 03 Mar, 2021 6:00 pm
- Forum: Puzzle Competitions
- Topic: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
- Replies: 105
- Views: 1188583
Re: 2021 WPF Sudoku and Puzzle GPs
I think you may have got lucky with the SPOLICY’s. My intuition ended up failing me so I had to go for a full casebash, which wasn’t particularly enjoyable. EKBM took 4 minutes on each of them though so I don’t feel quite as bad about it.