2022 WPC and WSC UK Team Qualification Policy

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
detuned

2022 WPC and WSC UK Team Qualification Policy

Post by detuned »

The purpose of this post is to outline the qualification policy for the official A team selection representing the United Kingdom at the upcoming World Sudoku Championship (WSC) and World Puzzle Championship (WPC) to be held in Krakow, Poland later this year.
  • The WSC is scheduled between Sunday October 16th and Wednesday October 19th.
  • The WPC is scheduled between Wednesday October 19th and Sunday October 23rd.
Further details of the competition can be found here: https://www.wspc2022.pl

At the time of writing of this qualification puzzle, the UK Puzzle Association does not have means or sponsorship to fund individuals to participate at the championships. As such, any individual taking up a place on the team is required to self-fund their participation. If anyone is interested in sponsoring the UK teams, please get in touch!

QUALIFICATION POLICY - FOR 2022 ONLY

Please note this policy is extraordinary for 2022 only. This is as a result of covid restrictions preventing the usual planning of onsite UK Open Championships.

Qualification for the UK A teams are based upon two separate routes. For both the WSC and the WPC, the A team consists of four team members. This policy only applies to those who hold or are eligible for a UK passport. Anyone who does not fit this criterion is not eligible for UK A team qualification - the results of any such individuals have no bearing on the details outlined below.

For example, "top three" specifically refers to the three highest scoring results from UK eligible individuals exclusively.

ROUTE A:
The top three finishers from the online UK Sudoku Championship (UKSC) and UK Puzzle Championship (UKPC) will qualify respectively for the WSC and WPC A teams.

Where the top three from UKSC/UKPC do not take a team place the qualification extends down, in order, through the top 10 until three people are found who are willing to take a position on the team.

ROUTE B:
The single top finisher who has not already qualified for the team by means of ROUTE A described above from selected rounds of the WPF Sudoku GP and the Puzzle GP:
  • Sudoku GP round 7 - 8th to 11th July (Netherlands authors)
  • Puzzle GP round 7 - 22nd to 25th July (Czech & Slovak authors)
Where the top finisher from the GP rounds does not take a team place the qualification extends down, in order, through the top 10 until an individual is found who is willing to take the final position on the team.

In the event that a full team of four individuals cannot be formed by means of either Route A or Route B, places on the A team will be awarded discretionally by the UK Puzzle Association from a shortlist formed of any individual who has expressed an interest in travelling to Poland to represent the UK.

Individuals who qualify for only the WSC or only the WPC are given first preference to take up a position on an unofficial UK B team, where the WSC/WPC organisers allow for further participation. (In some cases it has been known for countries to bring a C team, D team and even an E team where there is sufficient demands).

Further B team places will be awarded discretionally by the UK Puzzle Association to any individual who has expressed an interest in travelling to Poland. Where the WSC/WPC organisers have indicated sufficient capacity, this policy also extends to guests of A team members.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
detuned

Re: 2022 WPC and WSC UK Team Qualification Policy

Post by detuned »

CURRENT STATUS OF WSC QUALIFICATION

Route A

The following list is taken from the UKSC results page:

1 Freddie Hand - not taking team place
2 Mark Goodliffe - CONFIRMED
3 David McNeill - not taking team place
4 Tom Collyer - CONFIRMED
5 Heather Golding - not taking team place
6 Calum Mailer - no reply
7 Michael Collins - TBC
8 Jack Lawrence - TBC
9 Ned Walker - TBC
10 Chris Musson - TBC

Note Jeremy Kong is not UK eligible.

Route B
The following list is taken from the Sudoku GP results page:

1 Sam Cappleman-Lynes - not taking team place
2 Freddie Hand - not taking team place
3 Tom Collyer - confirmed via Route A
4 Jack Lawrence - CONFIRMED
5 Jeremy Kong - not UK eligible
6 Calum Mailer - no reply
7 Neil Zussman - N/A
8 Matthew White - N/A
9 Adam Bissett - N/A
10 David Collison - N/A

CONFIRMED UK A TEAM:
Mark Goodliffe, Tom Collyer, TBC and Jack Lawrence.

The next individuals in line for the final position from route A are: Michael Collins.

Should Michael not take his place, then Jack Lawrence will qualify via virtue of route A rather than route B. The Route B place then falls to Neil Zussman, who is happy to take up the A team place and the team selection will be complete.
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
detuned

Post by detuned »

CURRENT STATUS OF WPC QUALIFICATION

Route A

The following list is taken from the UKPC results page:

2 James McGowan - CONFIRMED
3 Neil Zussman - CONFIRMED
4 Sam Cappleman-Lynes - not taking team place
5 Anthony Ford - no reply
6 Maurice B - CONFIRMED
7 Michael Collins - TBC
8 Adam Bissett - TBC
9 Desirée Wilson - TBC
10 Chris Musson - TBC

Route B

The following list is taken from the Puzzle GP results page:

2 Neil Zussman - confirmed via Route A
3 James McGowan - confirmed via Route A
4 Adam Bissett - CONFIRMED
5 Matthew White - N/A
6 Tom Collyer - N/A
7 Jeremy Kong - N/A
8 Jack Lawrence - N/A
9 Desirée Wilson - N/A
10 Art Ed - N/A

CONFIRMED UK A TEAM:
James McGowan, Neil Zussman, Maurice B and Adam Bissett.
detuned

Post by detuned »

A quick post to say I'e updated for the Sudoku GP results above
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Please can Anthony Ford confirm whether he will be able to take his place by 29th July in order that the place can be confirmed or passed down. I've sent a couple of emails, so not sure whether they've reached you.
detuned

Post by detuned »

A similar appeal on individuals outstanding:

Could Jeremy Kong please confirm UK eligibility (being listed as Singapore on UKPA and UK on the WPF GP. If so, please could he also confirm whether he intends to take a place on the A team.

Similarly could we please hear from Calum Mailer.
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

A close battle for the fourth Puzzle GP qualification spot, well done Adam, Matthew, and Tom.
Trying to wrap this up soon, so similarly for the WPC team: can we please get initial indications from Maurice Blount, Michael Collins, Adam Bissett, and Matthew White. Would you accept a place on the UK WPC A-team if offered it?
(We know Tom Collyer is going to Krakow, so we won't be checking below him on the list.)
mwhite

Post by mwhite »

Its very exciting to have finished so close to a qualification spot! Depending on Adam, it may be moot, but I'm not going to be able to go as that is during my school's term time.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I would be honoured to take my place in Poland. Thank you.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

kiwijam wrote: Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:45 pm Trying to wrap this up soon, so similarly for the WPC team: can we please get initial indications from Maurice Blount,
Maurice is joining us for the full week, but not taking part in the WSC.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Also I would like to be on the B team for Sudoku please.
detuned

Post by detuned »

Please also reply here if there is any interest in taking up a B team slot!
Mblount

Post by Mblount »

puzzlemad wrote: Thu 28 Jul, 2022 9:07 am
kiwijam wrote: Wed 27 Jul, 2022 11:45 pm Trying to wrap this up soon, so similarly for the WPC team: can we please get initial indications from Maurice Blount,
Maurice is joining us for the full week, but not taking part in the WSC.
Rereading my email, I realise I might have been unclear, but I'm only planning to attend the WPC half of the week. I hope this doesn't cause any problems, but if there are any issues then please let me know.
detuned

Post by detuned »

Again a plea for the WSC qualifiers to identify themselves, confirm eligibility and willingness to travel

At this point, could anyone on the list make themselves known wherever they are on the list?

Unfortunately there has been a 10% uplift in fees that is applied. We've really tried to do our best here but unfortunately the policy didn't specify any deadlines for people to accept and this looks like it's potentially going to cost people some extra money. Sorry about that - I am trying my best!