2022 WPF Puzzle GP

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

2022 WPF Puzzle GP

Post by pinkagape »

The IB is available for this weekend's puzzles if you'd like to take a look. There's an interesting looking scrabble variant but the rest look fairly familiar, I think.
detuned

Re: 2022 WPF Puzzle GP

Post by detuned »

I wonder how fast the finishing times are going to be? I bet we’ll see times in the 40’s and maybe even down in the 30’s (remember to check your answers Freddie :) )
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Any ideas what's holding up the results? Aren't they normally out by now?
detuned

Post by detuned »

Karel left this message on the website - I'm still none the wiser after reading it:
Dear players,

I've tried to update Sudoku GP1 and Puzzle GP1 results to insert your results based on your email requests because of the issue with accessibility of the WPF GP site.

In case you are still facing any issues, please try to send an email to sudokugp@worldpuzzle.com(link sends e-mail) or puzzlegp@worldpuzzle.com(link sends e-mail).

Thank you very much for your cooperation. I'm updating your results manually so it takes some time to proceed.

Best,
Karel (Admin)
Anyway, some round 1 results. Top 3 UK all claimed bonus:

6. Freddie Hand 738.3
17. Neil Zussman 665.1 (bad luck with the mistake/typo Neil)
29. James McGowan 597.3

Sam Cappleman-Lynes and Adam Bissett were not too far behind, also making the top 50 (well, top 40 if we're being totally accurate). Jeremy Kong was a little further behind also in the top 100.

A pretty strong set of results for the UK then, although on a personal note I probably want to move on from this one pretty quickly!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
detuned

Post by detuned »

Ah so there’s also a forum thread which does shed some light on the delays:

https://gp.worldpuzzle.org/comment/10067#comment-10067

To summarise, I think there have been some issues with server going down during competition and Karel has needed to handle the affected entries manually, which has led to the delays.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

I omitted to put Senec in the Scrabble, which is pretty infuriating- I tend to make such errors pretty rarely, at least compared to some, so it's frustrating that it cost so many points on this occasion. I think I'd've beaten Freddie otherwise, not sure how that happened.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

Round 2 is taking place over this weekend.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Results are up for this. Another great round for UK puzzlers, with four in the top 20!

My big question is what am I supposed to do to start the Curve Data? I spent ages trying different things after the competition was over and couldn't make any headway at all. I feel like the X is the starting point but so lost. Any hints for me?
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

Curve data: I usually find you just need to start playing around with the shapes, sticking them in places that seem to fit nicely together and seeing what happens. On this one, I started left to right and then realised 3 things:
1. My original solution for the LHS wasn't unique; I had the R above the G on the top 5 rows, and the P next to the weird R on the bottom 3 rows. However, I could extend the leg from the top R down to the bottom, and shorten the bottom P and R, so that whole bit had to be wrong. It looked like there was a lot of freedom with these 4 shapes, so clearly in order to make it unique, I'd need one of the 5 other shapes to extend further left.
2. I couldn't fit the A and N in.
3. The X is a weird shape, as you noted. Both sides need to take up at least 3 rows, because they need to extend above and below the horizontal bar, and this creates a C and a backward C with another shape needed to fill in the middle bits. Clearly, the I fits nicely in on the LHS, but I think the only thing that fits on the RHS is the bottom of the D; that then leaves two rows clear at the top that the D can't reach, and that the A and N fit nicely into.
Hence I then ended up starting again and working right to left, and it fell quite nicely.
jupilogy

Post by jupilogy »

Veeeeeery fed up with this round :( I spent the majority of my time on the first puzzle which I finally seemed to finish after almost an hour, only to realise my solution didn't work. Still working on it but like I said........... Feeling extremely annoyed. The second unknowns tapa (puzzle 11) was really fun though.
detuned

Post by detuned »

I've slacked a bit on the results service, but I thought I'd try and bring us back up to date for round 2.

Top 3 UK were:

2. Freddie Hand 902.3
11. Neil Zussman 748.5
15. James McGowan 716.2

Sam also continues his great showing in the puzzle GP with a 19th place finish. Adam Bissett was a bit further back outside the top 50, with Tom Collyer and Jeremy Kong also making the top 100, and Maurice B just outside the top 100.
jupilogy

Post by jupilogy »

Preliminary results are out
UK people in the top 100:
6. Freddie Hand - 743
39. Neil Zussman - 587
44. Sam Cappleman-Lynes - 564

I liked the selection of puzzles except maybe the starry sky (stars and arrows one). I've never seen Satogaeri (the one with the circles being dragged to regions) before but I like it!

Decided not to go for the sudokus because although I'm not bad at sudoku I'm probably slow enough at it that it's not worth the points...

That round felt easier than the others to me but I guess it's because I went for the lower scoring puzzles.
GG
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

I enjoyed that set of puzzles. Stupid answer key error on #1 - half way along the line I suddenly swapped my letters over :roll: . Solved all but one now - shape division (I'm really bad at these sort of puzzles), so if anyone can give me any pointers I'd appreciate it. Well done everyone.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I felt like I had a rough time of it, but my scores have ended up being pretty good in the end.

I just solved the shape division this evening. Obviously the wiggly tail in the bottom left is worth looking out for. You can rule out most areas of the grid that it’s not in once you realise what shape it must connect to.

That was my solving path. Happy to get more specific if needed.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Anyone with any ideas about techniques for Arboretum? Not seen it before and not sure where to start with the example.
Mblount

Post by Mblount »

For the example, at least, I found the following ideas helpful:

- Separating out leaves (ie dead ends) - there are two of these in each of R1 and R6, and each pair must have one going to the 2 seed and one going to the 5 seed so as not to break the "no two leaves sharing a seed can be in the same row/column" rule (which seems to be the most important constraint)

- In areas like the top right corner, you can use other leaves to figure out which cells must be "not leaves", which forces a path (a bit like the rassi silai puzzles)

- There also seems to be a global connectivity principle I can't articulate properly - but you can't have R1C2 going to the 5 seed and R1C3 going to the 2 seed, for example

There's probably other ideas, but I don't have the ingenuity to figure them out without coming across them in other examples :/
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Yes, some very useful ideas there. I like the comparison to Rassi Silai. I hope that will be useful. Thank you :)
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Just jumped on to have a go at the GP before time ran out, then realised it was the UK round of which I'd test solved some of them. Doh!
detuned

Post by detuned »

Round 4 (the UK round) results:

17. Freddie Hand 691
42. Neil Zussman 585
50. James McGowan 556

Adam Bissett and Matthew White were both just outside the top 100

Preliminary round 5 results out:

2. Freddie Hand 983 points
25. James McGowan 572
42. Sam Cappleman-Lynes 503

A few more UK solvers lurking in the top 100, including Tom Collyer, Matthew White, Adam Bissett and Anthony Ford.
Nilz

Post by Nilz »

I forget to do this one (in my defence, I was busy all weekend, remember on Sunday evening but was too tired and resolved to do it on Monday, and then promptly completely forgot on Monday). Although I seem to remember reading in the rulebook that there was a kropki, so perhaps I subconsciously forgot on purpose...!
For those that did take part, how were the puzzles?
detuned

Post by detuned »

I enjoyed this round a lot more than I’ve enjoyed the sudoku gp rounds this year. I entered cold (without even looking at the IB) and thought all the puzzles were fair and fun to solve - maybe the double spolicy is the exception. Even the kropki was pretty good!
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I agree. I thought the puzzle set was very enjoyable. I spent a frustrating final 15 minutes with the kurotto, but that was nicer without the time pressure on it. I agree, I found the kropki very enjoyable. I didn't need to guess to get started, which was nice.
detuned

Post by detuned »

Round 6 results for the UK:

1. Freddie Hand 926.2
14. James McGowan 593
63. Sam Cappleman-Lynes 395

Jeremy Kong and Adam Bissett also made the Top 100 with Matthew White just outside
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

Looking at the upcoming GP this weekend, for the highest value (the Knight Hidato) I found four puzzles under a different name at http://forum.enjoysudoku.com/fairy-ches ... 43-45.html.
detuned

Post by detuned »

These are also called knight’s tour - I think they used to be reasonably common.