Division A 2021-22

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

Division A 2021-22

Post by pinkagape »

Division A has 7 competitors this year, and in each round, the winner gets 7 credits, second place gets 6 credits and so on. Players who do not compete in a round receive 0 credits.

Specific dates for each round will be added when they are released by the corresponding bodies.

5th/6th February - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
12th/13th March - LMI Puzzle Ramayan
2nd/3rd April - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
25th to 30th April - Puzzle Duel contest
28th/29th May - WPF Puzzle Grand Prix
4th/5th June - LMI Puzzle Ramayan

This year, the members of Division A are: Freddie Hand, Neil Zussman, Adam Bissett, Tom Collyer, Matthew White, David McNeill and Sam Cappleman-Lynes
pinkagape

Re: Division A 2021-22

Post by pinkagape »

The preliminary results are out. Please let me know if you get an appeal through and I'll adjust the table.

Division A

Freddie Hand - 738.3
Neil Zussman - 665.1
Sam Cappleman-Lynes - 571
Adam Bissett - 530
Tom Collyer - 253
Matthew White - 236

Five UK solvers (including James) in the top 40 is as many as Germany have, showing the strength in Division A as Freddie takes another first place and Sam continues his great form from last year too.

Round 2 will be the Puzzle Ramayan in March, not this weekend's one.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Just a quick note that they have pushed back the Puzzle Ramayan which was originally scheduled for this weekend so it's the weekend after, now.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

The Puzzle Ramayan IB is now available. Looks like a few unusual puzzle types in there, so worth a look.
detuned

Post by detuned »

Hi Adam - I don’t think I’ll be doing the LMI tests this year, for personal reasons.

I’m also in two minds about puzzle duel, given the heavy Russian influence. I haven’t been solving the daily puzzles for a bit, and I’m trying to weigh up where I stand on this. On the one hand, the “cancelling” of many Russian things is now an obvious reality given the appalling actions of the government and military, but I feel there is a big danger of over-reacting and unfairly equating anything Russian= bad, which is clearly nonsense.

Still, I am very wary about taking part in anything that might be seen to promote the Russian state. Do other people have thoughts here?

My only other thought, which is separate from puzzle duel, is that if the WPF is supposedly modelled on the IOC then Russian and Belarusian membership ought to be suspended. I’m not sure what the puzzle community makes out of all of this. Maybe it’s ok given puzzle solving, whilst competitive, is hardly about the glory and promotion of nations per se. Even if it was, it’s not like either Russia or Belarus have any success at the top of puzzle or sudoku leaderboards that could be used to promote any national prestige.

(There’s an interesting parallel with chess here for further tangential thinking)
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

An interesting point. I’m happy to listen to others, but I don’t think that Puzzle Duel is particularly related to the Russian state, so while I agree with not wanting to provide glory to Russia, I think this is safe.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Round 2 is now finished. An interesting Puzzle Ramayan round, with some big point puzzles and some little quick ones. I struggled with puzzle choice personally. Another good round for the UK competitors generally, with three in the top 20.

Freddie Hand - 83.9
Neil Zussman - 72
Sam Cappleman-Lynes - 70.9
Matthew White - 62
Adam Bissett - 54

The next round is the Puzzle Grand Prix the weekend after this one.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Apologies for the delay. It looks like Sam almost got ahead of Neil here, but for a couple of errors.

Freddie Hand - 743
Neil Zussman - 587
Sam Cappleman-Lynes - 564
Adam Bissett - 384
Matthew White - 308

We'll start the Puzzle Duel contest in a fortnight. I'll send an email in the days leading up to it. After seeing how last year's scores worked out, we'll be anchoring 100 to the third placed competitor each day.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Hi everyone. Next week (Monday 25th April to Saturday 30th April) will be our Puzzle Duel competition for Round 4 of Division A. You need to complete each daily puzzle next week (ideally on the day, but there is a buffer of 5 days where it can be completed within the rules of the site, which I'm happy to use). The third placed competitor each day will have their time scaled to 100 and everyone else scores their time as a percentage of that time. This score is capped at 500. The lowest total score is the best.

I'll provide updates most days so we can see how much Freddie is winning by :P
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

At time of writing, Freddie has the fastest time of all comers internationally on both Monday and Tuesday, so the answer to how much he is winning by is lots.

A few Division A puzzlers haven't started yet, but I saw a few Division B names so I made a combined table just for fun, to compare.

Here are the results so far for Monday only (I know quite a few have finished Tuesday too).

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Well, Wednesday's puzzle was pretty hard! Also, Neil recorded a great time on the No Touch Sums, so there might be a battle!

Here are the tables for up to Tuesday, so far.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

It's much closer than last year between puzzlers. Tom is ahead of a tight group, behind Freddie. The tricky sudoku could catch out some of those yet to do it though. Outside of Division A, Maurice is having a great week!

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Neil did have a tough time with the sudoku too but was back on form with the Loops and Bounds. Matthew comes up the tables with two puzzles left.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

With a small puzzle for Saturday, I suspect that unless Sam comes in and changes the scaling on the earlier days, there's limited changes to be had here, but here's the latest board.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I forgot that quick puzzles have the potential for larger gaps. David's time might make a difference on fourth place. I'll do a last update either once all rounds have been completed or the time runs out for timed solutions.

At this stage, we can cheerfully congratulate Freddie, and Neil had some impressive times this week too. Outside of Division A, Maurice continues to go from strength to strength.

detuned

Post by detuned »

Adam: Puzzle duel publishes a method to go from a list of solving times to a score here.

http://www.puzzleduel.club/help

All you need is to spend a bit of time getting the median time from the results for each puzzle and you could calculate in a spreadsheet. I tend to think that your method might be a little bit volatile, so I'd be interested to see how using the puzzle duel methodology might provide any difference in results.

I'd suggest using the overall median time, rather than the median UK time - although would be curious to see how much of a difference that made too
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Interesting. I'll look into that, Tom.

For now, David has finished, but Sam doesn't appear to have done any. I'll assume he's not going to, but if you do the Saturday puzzle before tomorrow, Sam, let me know and I'll give you the one credit.

This leaves Division A a lot tighter in the race for third place.

Round 5 is the Puzzle GP at the end of the month.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

So, I looked into the Rating calculations that Puzzle Duel use. I decided to use all DNF during the median calculation. The first thing to note is that Puzzle Duel punishes errors heavily in Rating calculations, though this isn’t obvious on the scoreboards, and I didn’t punish them at all. Not sure if people have instincts on this.

When you use Rating totals over the six puzzles, we end with:

Freddie - 16484
Neil - 15231
Tom - 13311
Adam - 12613
Matthew - 12168
David - 11879

So the only difference to the final table is Matthew losing a place due to the 523 point penalty he got for his error on Thursday.

Personally, I don’t think this is any improvement on our system for what we want it to do.
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

Here are the results of Round 5. Very close for third place.

Freddie Hand - 983 points
Sam Cappleman-Lynes - 503 points
Tom Collyer - 415 points
Matthew White - 408 points
Adam Bissett - 387 points

In the overall standings, Freddie is uncatchable and Matthew and I are in an effective playoff for fourth place. The final round is this weekend's Puzzle Ramayan.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

The season is now over. It's possibly been a bit too much of a procession with the same top three each round (that they competed in) but it was much more exciting with the race for fourth place, which was taken by Matthew. Congratulations should absolutely go to Freddie once again.

Freddie - 129.22 points
Neil - 91.2 points
Sam - 91 points
Tom - 67.8 points
Matthew - 48 points
Adam - 29.6 points

detuned

Post by detuned »

I thought I'd give the final leg a go as a bit of an exception. Was kind of fun, except for the bits involving yajisan-kuzisan (or whatever it is's called). A highly tedious puzzle type in my opinion, I reckon it might be even worse than hitori! :lol:
pinkagape

Post by pinkagape »

I struggled with puzzle selection, as has been a bit of a theme at Puzzle Ramayan this year for me. With the Country Road, I’ve just worked through them and found the 9 pointer much easier than the other two and the only one to solve smoothly without loads of guessing. Do I just solve Country Road oddly or did I miss something with the “easy” two?

Generally I’m in tune with PR points. I broke horribly both high point Maxi Loops and thought anything over 6 points was just for me to avoid but then it only took me about 5 minutes to get through the 9 point Country Road so I’m baffled.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

The 2 point Country Road is straightforward - you can see the order of areas for the path round the right side of the puzzle. Bottom left, you can see where it needs to go from the "1" into the areas above and to the side. I mark the blank cells and those which need to have a path in them to make it easier for me to spot. (I know better solvers don't need to do that :D )
The 2nd one - you can work out one side of the majority of the single cell areas and which areas others go to. Keep a track of preventing loops and make sure blank cells on either side of a boundary don't touch.