LMI Best of test

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
detuned

LMI Best of test

Post by detuned » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 12:25 pm

Looks like we forgot to make a thread for this one!

Anyway, scores are out, James has done very well to make the top 20! http://logicmastersindia.com/2013/01P/score.asp

I was a bit out of practice and spent far too much time being generally rusty, and not getting things I should have done like chained battleships, horse snake and loop the loops. I also thought that the spiral battleships, which i completed afterwards, was a lovely puzzle!

Anyhow, my new years resolution of trying to cut out the wrong answers is off to a good start here!

apollo1001

Re: LMI Best of test

Post by apollo1001 » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 6:08 pm

I enjoyed this set. Well done James!

..couldn't believe I miscounted on the answer key for chained battleships though to lose out on all those points (and the bonus - d'oh!)

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks guys.
Felt a bit rusty too. I had a few half-finished puzzles at the end, and other ones I only got through trial and error. I suppose some authors always have logical paths, while others don't find it so necessary...

@Adam: did you claim the puzzle points? They can only say no. I suppose there's an element of honesty to the process, I don't think it's used too often.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 9:42 pm

I think the 'claim points' has largely been superseded by the 'try again with penalty' answer re-entry (if that was available).
Guessing the reason for keeping the option is in case someone does something silly, like entering their answer in the wrong box with no time remaining.

detuned

Post by detuned » Tue 08 Jan, 2013 11:22 pm

I've used claim once or twice - it essentially works as a PM to the admins, who are generally very fair and will sort you out if you have a genuine grievance. Useful if you happen to be a complete clot and put the right answer key into the wrong box :roll:

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for all the info regarding the claim process. I didn't this time, on the basis that it was my fault for not being careful enough - it's too late now, but I'll know for the future. Palmer's comment on LMI also confirms it can't hurt to claim if you have a reasonable case. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it, so that's the important thing!

On a slightly different note, I'd be interested to know how people make(/made) their puzzle selections (if you don't mind sharing). I basically went through the instruction book the day before and made a note of which puzzles were a definite no, and some which were a definite yes. I then tried to pair them up (due to extra bonus points) and figure out some sort of order to tackle them in - an easy warm up set, then big points whilst plenty of time, and then simple ones to knock off if time permitted.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 10:06 pm

@Alan: The instant-marking option is still a rarity among the LMI tests (unfortunately).

@Adam: Yes your first step is to divide the puzzles into Yes or No or Maybe. As you get better your No pile will become smaller, but to start with it might contain half the puzzles.
One plus about a 'Best Of' test is that nothing is new - you can look back through the previous tests to get puzzles of every type to practise. So practise your Yes's and Maybes beforehand, without any time pressure, and try to learn more about them.
The Yes's are probably your favourite types, and you'll get the most points-per-minute on them. So best to start there. Later have a look at the Maybes if you can, if you're not getting anywhere in a couple of minutes then put it aside and come back later. You can't make too much of a plan beforehand until you've seen how good/bad/large/small each puzzle is.
Regarding the bonus points, in some tests they're a big deal, but I felt this time they weren't big enough to base a strategy on. Just ignore them, and at the end you might have picked up a few in passing (most of the pairs of puzzles were 'similar' to each other, so they might be both Yes or both No anyway). But you don't want to waste ages on a puzzle that you would rather not be doing just because you're after that 10-20% extra.