World (Jigsaw) Puzzle Days 2013

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Gunther

World (Jigsaw) Puzzle Days 2013

Post by Gunther » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 10:50 am

Hello to all lovers of puzzles! :D

First of all: I'm new here in this forum and I hope my english is not too poor. My name is GÜNTHER SIMETSBERGER, I come from Austria, I am 45 years old and I love puzzles since my earliest childhood. I began very young with 280 pieces, raised up to 500, 1000, 1500, 3000, 6000, 9000, 12000 and three years ago I assembled the 24000 piece-puzzle LIFE which is still on the wall in my living-room.

But usually I use to do small puzzles of 1000 to 6000 pieces which don't need so much space to assemble them.

Last year I had an idea which is the reason why I am here today writing to you. I thought it could be interesting to do the same puzzle simultaneous with somebody else living far away from me. I made a test with two women from Germany. It was interesting but not very funny because we showed us every night the same photos of our progress. Only one player began in another part as the other players... But I didn't abandon my idea. I wanted to unit people doing a puzzle. The problem I saw that somebody in China could not buy the same puzzle as somebody in Austria or Canada (or it would be at least so complicated that he wouldn't do it) turned out as a solution for the other problem, that we showed us all similar photos. As I changed my thoughts and plans to a same amount of pieces but free puzzle to choose. So it would be possible to play with me for everybody, no matter if he/she lives in Shanghai or New York. He/she only needs a 2000 piece puzzle. And by this way everyone can do a puzzle according to his personal taste. The idea was growing during the last year, and on 1st of january I gave it online and presented it as the WORLD PUZZLE DAYS. I didn't count with more than 20 or 30 players. With 15 players from different countries at the first time I would have been satisfied. On the third day I had 47 participants and myself couldn't believe that. The number of participants raised every day, the number of countries (not every day but) also. Actually the WORLD PUZZLE DAYS have united 190 players from Northamerica, Southamerica, Europe and Asia. 26 different nations. We all will do a 2000 piece puzzle from 3rd March on and I give everyone 2 months to finish it. This is a little eternity for 2000 pieces, I know. But I wanted to offer it for everyone. Also for stressed housewifes with three children or students or working-men who have to work outside during the week or if somebody gets ill it shouldn't be any problem to finish it anyway.

I create for every player an own playing-table with a front-page like this one:

In reality it's a photo-album. Everyone gets his own album from me, with his name, city where he plays and the flag of his country on the front-page and into this album he/she can upload every night one or more photos of progress of his/her 2000 piece-puzzle. So we have a situation as we would play all in a large hall with up to now 190 tables. Every player can look at the tables and puzzles of every other player, can let comments or ask what he wants to know. Due to the liberty to choose your own puzzle the event will be very interesting because in 26 or more different nations we will have also many different cultures and interests for the images of the puzzles.

My extended dream is now to unit people from all over the world, doing the same at the same time (the same = the same discipline of 2000 pieces), to unit many nations and birds of a feather having fun together. We all will show us our daily progress and will be together although nobody has to leave his house. The following photo was a diagram after 176 participants...

Meanwhile came players from Bulgaria, Hungaria and Poland also and we are 190 players up to now. I think that you'll see now that you don't see...nothing from Great Britain. :D Scandal? :mrgreen: You can change this!! I'd be really happy if I had also players from Great Britain and Ireland and from other nations reading this forum. EVERYBODY IS VERY WELCOME! My dream is to unit most possible puzzle-players from most possible nations doing a puzzle of the same size and to have fun together, no matter where we live.

And I would like to invite you all now to join with us the WORLD PUZZLE DAYS from 3rd March on. If you'll need some time to buy a 2000 piece-puzzle there's no problem at all. You will not need 2 months to assemble it. And if you fear the amount of 2000 pieces don't worry! You can make it also in a team with your husband, wife or children. So the WPDs will even forge a bond between you and your family.

Everyone is invited! The participation is free. I found an argentinian producer of puzzles who gave 6 puzzles to raffle at the end. For every continent (S-America/N-America extra) one. The shipping fee to your home included. If you are interested to participate please follow the link http://www.facebook.com/groups/129377333891242/ : (Facebook registration required) and click to "join the group". I will accept you as soon as possible. At the top of the page you will find a survey with many nations. The first one of you enters England/Scotland/Ireland etcetera if his country still doesn't appear in the last line above and mark it. The following puzzlers marks their existing country. If somebody from the USA reads here, USA already exists. You'll find it in the middle of the survey. In the comments under the survey you can tell me the city from where you are going to play with us and I will create you the front-page of your personal playing-table.

And if you have questions you can ask me here in this thread or also in the WPDs-page. Here it would be better because your question could be interesting also to other users of this forum.

Okay. I would be really happy if I united also you and your country with my World Puzzle Days.

Two things I've forgotten...

Nobody should know what you are going to assemble. We all will show us on 2nd March our 2000 pieces but NOT the box with the image!! So everyone will have his personal secret what he/she is going to assemble. ;)

The second one: The official filing period ends on 28th of february. I will not say no if you come later and you want to participate also. But if you know that you want and will participate tell me as soon as possible please. I give time to register until 14th April but in the raffle will participate only the one who register before the beginning on 3rd March.

Enter and join the group IS NOT a registration. If you want to tell me "Yes I will also participate" take the survey above please. :) Otherwise I will think you are only a spectator.

Thank you for your time. Greetings from Austria.
Günther

apollo1001

Re: World Puzzle Days 2013

Post by apollo1001 » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 2:19 pm

Thank you for this Günther.

I currently don't have the space to work on the 5000 piece puzzle I was doing before moving house, so this seems like a good idea for keeping me (even more) occupied until I can remedy the situation!

Gunther

Post by Gunther » Tue 26 Feb, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello apollo!

It's really a pity! :( But of course I understand you. You can enter the group to be a member without participation. So you'll stay in contact with me. When I organize the WORLD PUZZLE DAYS 2014 I'll contact first all members of the group of this year. Perhaps in 2014 you'll have time and place. Would be great! :)

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Wed 27 Feb, 2013 12:42 pm

You misunderstood me - I am going to be taking part! (I can probably find space for 2000, but not the 5000...). I have already signed up on your page anyhow.

Adam.

Gunther

Re: World (Jigsaw) Puzzle Days 2013

Post by Gunther » Thu 28 Feb, 2013 7:34 am

Oh, hello Adam!

Yes, I misunderstood you. Sorry! Yesterday I was really happy for reaching the goal with 200 players, at the beginning never thought to be possible. But of course the goals are growing together with the event. :) I am really happy to have with you now also a british participant. On my personal page you can see also all my puzzles I made. Would be great if more lovers of jigsaw puzzles from the UK would find the way to us.

Adam, do you think this forum is the right place to search british or irish participants? I saw people write here a lot about Sudoku and so on. Do you or anybody else here know a british forum specially for JIGSAW puzzles? :)

Have a great day!
Günther

fabella1963

Post by fabella1963 » Thu 04 Jul, 2013 7:54 am

Hello Günther,
just joined this forum - will you do the same thing next year as well? Would love to be part of it!
Greetings from
Fabella

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Fri 05 Jul, 2013 7:43 pm

Hello Fabella

Yes, Gunther is planning World Puzzle Days 2014 (Jigsaw) to run in January/February. You can find out more details (and join in) on the facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/129377333891242/.

jovanotti

Post by jovanotti » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 4:29 am

Hi Everyone,
I am hoping i am posting this in the correct forum. I am an app developer and I am currently in the middle of production on my new app Jigsaw Puzzles HD! that will be released around mid January for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch. I have created a facebook page so people can stay up to date about the app and release date. If your interested please come a long and like/share my page with your friends who are also interested in Jigsaw Puzzles. I am trying to make the app to give the closest experience to building a real life jigsaw puzzle. I am also keen on hearing feedback from you guys that absolutely love Jigsaw Puzzles on what you would like to see in the app to make it more realistic. Here is the link to my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jigsaw-P ... 154?ref=hl
Thanks everyone!!