Hausigel Contest Series

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
Hausigel

Hausigel Contest Series

Post by Hausigel » Sun 16 Dec, 2012 3:12 pm

Dear puzzle friends,
it is my great pleasure to invite you to take part in the "Hausigel Contest Series". This is a series of puzzle contests which will take place in 2013. Twelve contests are currently planned, they will take place once in each month. The contests will be hosted on the homepage of the German puzzle community. As usual, there will be an individual scoring for each contest; plus, there will be a total scoring. More about this below.

Each contest will run over 72 hours in total (Friday noon till next Monday noon). The working time is 120 minutes for each contest. The results will always be published as soon as possible, with a small delay (a few days) for manual score adjustments. Manual adjustments are planned, usually without penalty, but possibly only after a brief mail exchange with the participants. Details on this subject will be announced for each contest individually.

The perfect score for each contest will be 500 points. For the total scoring, there will be an additional time bonus of 1 point per 30 seconds for each contest (of course, the bonus can only be obtained if the participant has a perfect score in that contest, that is, 500 points). The total score is then obtained as follows: In each contest, the best participant receives 100 points, the score for every other participant is his percentage of the best score in that contest. For each participant, the best nine results will enter the total scoring, the other scores will be discarded. This is also motivated by the idea that some participants will not be able to take part in all the contests.

Supplement: If not all the contests can be held for some reason, only three of out four contests will enter the total scoring (rounded up, e.g. eight results from ten contests).

I have designed and checked all the contests myself; if there are any mistakes, I hope for your understanding. The points that are assigned to each puzzle are based on my personal estimates; usually the hard puzzles are a little underrated and the easy puzzles are overrated. Each contest is based on a theme; even if some of the themes are less popular than others, I hope to see many participants, both in the individual contests and the total event.

You will find more information about the contest series in the German forum or on the overview page of the contest series.
Enjoy!
Hausigel

kiwijam

Re: Hausigel Contest Series

Post by kiwijam » Sun 16 Dec, 2012 9:22 pm

Great idea!
The first round is the weekend of January 11th-14th.
Hopefully someone can post a reminder here closer to the time.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 17 Dec, 2012 10:55 am

No need to worry, I will announce each contest beforehand.
The first contest is already activated, but the instruction file is not accessible yet. If you visit the homepage of the German puzzle community, you will recognize these contests by the abbrevation HCS. The first contest is "HCS 1: Zerlegungsrätsel" (Dissection puzzles). I will post again in a week, when the instruction file is available.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Thu 27 Dec, 2012 10:20 am

The instruction file for the first contest is now available at the contest page. The contest HCS 1 (Dissection puzzles) will take place from Jan. 11th till Jan. 14th. Please note that a new thread for this contest has been opened in the German forum, questions are welcome (in English as well).
Let me also point you to my new puzzle blog where I will occasionally make a note on puzzle types used in the HCS. (I will write in German, but the puzzle instructions are available in English, too.)
Hausigel

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Fri 11 Jan, 2013 7:52 am

The contest HCS 1 will start in a few hours. Please see the German forum for a few last-minute remarks on solution codes and manual score adjustments. Good luck to all participants!

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:05 am

The contest is over, and the table should be visible for everyone; I have not finalized the standings yet. Score adjustment requests (for 80% of the points) are still possible until Wednesday noon.

So far, I have only sent a message to the participants when the syntax for a solution code was wrong. If you believe you have solved one or more puzzles correctly and your solution codes are not accepted, please let me know (email: hcs@hausigel.de), and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks a lot for participating.
Hausigel

emma

Post by emma » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:15 am

Well, if I hadn't thrown away 75 points with miscounts doing the solution keys, I'd have been very pleased with that one. I shall blame the plumber, who was supposed to come on Friday but turned up this morning while I was puzzling instead.

puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:33 am

emma wrote:Well, if I hadn't thrown away 75 points with miscounts doing the solution keys, I'd have been very pleased with that one. I shall blame the plumber, who was supposed to come on Friday but turned up this morning while I was puzzling instead.
Looks like they've given you partial points for those, so you've got 60 back. Well done.
Just one error one one of mine - couldn't count squares in a region - just taken me about 5 seconds to correct, and polished of another couple last night after time was up in a very short time.
Enjoyable puzzle set. Thanks to all involved.

emma

Post by emma » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:38 am

You noticed that before I got Roland's e-mail. I thought I was being a bit cheeky asking, but I reckoned it was worth a try if I did it immediately.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:50 am

Don't worry about beeing cheeky. Usually, when solution codes in a contest are particularly difficult, I will accept most score adjustment requests.
(Concerning the question about whether they just entered a wrong code or actually have a wrong solution, I normally rely on the sincerity of the participants.)

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 4:15 pm

Bah - my internet connection died as I did my final submission within the last 5 seconds. It looks like it didn't register which is a shame as it was a 50 pointer, but I'm really pleased with the score nonetheless (miles off James mind.. I wonder what he's eating..)

A very nice puzzle set - just the right level, thank you!

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:36 pm

apollo1001 wrote:(miles off James mind.. I wonder what he's eating..)
(I shouldn't really be telling you, but the secret is called Weet-Bix...)

A good turnout from the UK contingent, and some impressive results.
Emma and Adam D in particular were flying high, and sounds like that included some difficulties too.
Also Stefano, Liane, AJ, Adam B, Anthea, and Steve on the list, with some good scores in there too.
It should be a good series.

I was racing through, finished 4/6 pages in 75 minutes and heading for an early finish. But got slowed down by a Corridors, and then got absolutely nowhere on any of the Symmetrie puzzles. Couldn't find any examples for it beforehand, so I just hoped they might solve similar to Galaxies. But they didn't. :?

sknight

Post by sknight » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:56 pm

That sounds a bit similar to my experience, James, with one or two modifications because I was being a bit thick.

1) That "breeze through everything except corridors and symmetry" part was sort of the same for me, except it was more like 90-100 minutes on all of that because I'm not that fast.
2) I did figure out the first symmetry puzzle. They sort of do solve like galaxy puzzles, but you have to be open to more options. "Greedy" helped. Still, couldn't quite get the second one to work (though I was sort of close).
3) And, to top it off, for some reason I thought the puzzle key was just the rows instead of the rows and columns. Got an email from Roland wondering if I'd like to submit the second half of each answer. So only got 80% points for my trouble. (I seem to have missed a question, too, and I haven't looked if it was mis-solved or mis-keyed, but having already made Roland re-enter 13 answers for me, I feel like I'm done)

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 11:11 pm

@sknight: For some reason that eludes me at the moment, I have already deleted some part of our email conversation. I usually handle the syntax errors first because they are easier to spot; I will get back to you about the one mistake still left on your card.
@apollo1001: I can easily adjust your score (about the puzzle you finished just before you got cut off). I will send you a message.

apollo1001

Post by apollo1001 » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 12:31 pm

Thank you Roland - very helpful.

When solving, the corridors felt a little like numberlink/arukone - working out which black/white dot paired up was key. I had no idea about Symmetry / Lookouts...

sknight

Post by sknight » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 1:11 pm

Roland: thanks

On the lookouts, I realized this morning (well, it's morning here in the US) that I hadn't fully grokked "All the cells for which that number is maximum within their region are given", which is a very key restraint. Once that sank in a little better, I knocked out the first puzzle in about 10 minutes (which isn't great, but I think if I had properly practiced and prepared I could have had at least that one pretty easily). It's not clear to me from the first puzzle though whether the directions are actually supposed to read "all the cells and only those cells for which that number is maximal...", which is an even stronger statement, and is definitely true of the first puzzle and of the example puzzle.

Apollo: I agree that there was a bit of numberlink flavor to the corridors puzzle and the logic of pairing off the dots. Plus maybe a little bit of yin-yang in the no 2x2 restriction. I generally got an approximate solution and then fiddled it into place on those, which took a bit longer than I would have liked.

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 9:23 pm

sknight wrote: It's not clear to me from the first puzzle though whether the directions are actually supposed to read "all the cells and only those cells for which that number is maximal...", which is an even stronger statement, and is definitely true of the first puzzle and of the example puzzle.
Yes, for each shape all of the maximum viewpoints are given, and nothing else.
Basically:
- Different clue digits (e.g. a 6 and a 7) must belong to different shapes.
- If a shape has multiple (identical) clues, they are (almost) always all in the same row/column.
- Each clue can see cells both horizontally and vertically, so if it is on the edge (or in a corner) you can draw initial connections in.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Wed 16 Jan, 2013 12:52 pm

The scoring for the contest HCS 1 has been finalized, HCS 2 has been activated (the instruction file will be available for download this evening). The contest HCS 2 will take place Feb 1st - Feb 4th. I will post more information about score adjustments etc. in the German forum.
Link to the Contest page

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 12:21 am

Stefano, remember for next time to read carefully the instruction. Particularly when they say "no 2x2 squares" as they did in corridors. The German contest are particularly harsh as they penalize wrong entries.
I thought I had done a good contest and instead.....

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Thu 17 Jan, 2013 7:04 am

You're right, there is no actual "need" to penalize wrong entries. Every now and then, there are puzzles for which the solution code can be guessed; the idea of the penalty is mainly to discourage guessing in general. I thought it would be acceptable to have a consistent ruling about penalties in this context.
Still, I have no idea how to fix the "read the instructions carefully" problem...

sknight

Post by sknight » Tue 29 Jan, 2013 2:44 pm

(Bump)

This one is coming up, and anyone who hasn't downloaded and read the instructions/examples this would be a good time. The puzzles are relatively unfamiliar (although many of them feel like slight twists on familiar types), so it's worth taking time to think about the examples and doing some advance strategy.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Wed 30 Jan, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks for the ad. Yes, the contest will start 2 days from now. I have posted a few last-minute details in the German forum.
Short version: (Concerning manual adjustments) I will inquire in case of syntax errors; apart from that, adjustments will be made only on request. If manual score adjustments are necessary, only 80% of the points will be awarded.
(I know the original announcement said that there will usually be no penalty. But, having seen the large number of typing errors on the one hand and the large amount of time some participants invest in checking their solutions on the other hand, I feel that the 20% penalty is reasonable.)

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Fri 01 Feb, 2013 11:04 am

The contest has started. Good luck to all participants.

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Mon 04 Feb, 2013 11:14 am

The contest is over, and the table should be visible for everyone; I have not finalized the standings yet. Score adjustment requests (for 80% of the points) are still possible until Wednesday noon.

So far, I have only sent a message to the participants when the syntax for a solution code was wrong. If you believe you have solved one or more puzzles correctly and your solution codes are not accepted, please let me know (email: hcs@hausigel.de), and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks a lot for participating.
Hausigel

Hausigel

Post by Hausigel » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 3:13 pm

The scoring for the contest HCS 2 has been finalized.