LMI Competition - Word Show (17-19 Nov 2012)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
kiwijam

LMI Competition - Word Show (17-19 Nov 2012)

Post by kiwijam » Sun 18 Nov, 2012 10:46 am

Logic Masters India announced their November Puzzle Test — Word Show

Author : Nikola Zivanovic

Dates : 17nd — 19th November

Length : 90 minutes

IB and Submission Link : here

http://logicmastersindia.com/M201211P/

This competition ends at midnight on Monday, UK time.

detuned

Re: LMI Competition - Word Show (17-19 Nov 2012)

Post by detuned » Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:12 pm

arse - i've completely forgotten to do this :( It looked like it would have been a fun test too, I'm quite partial to more wordy style puzzles.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Mon 19 Nov, 2012 11:22 pm

ditto!!

kiwijam

Post by kiwijam » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 2:30 am

Well don't say i didn't try to remind you!
I think my previous LMI best was a 10th place, so I was very pleased to end up in 4th place on this one, ahead of some big names. Unfortunately I expected to be awful (I don't usually like word puzzles) and initially wasn't going to try, so I'd clicked the 'don't include my score in the ratings' box. Argh!

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 9:34 am

Well done James. Strange to see some of the usual suspects struggle with this one. I wonder is this because of discomfort with words or because of the unusual nature of the puzzles. I realised during the test that I didn't fully understand the rules. In Word Nurikabe, I assumed that each word had to form a snake which didn't touch itself. I didn't get the answer out and I wonder whether this assumption was incorrect. I also didn't spot the no repeats in rows or columns for Word Stairs, so lost an easy 5 points there.

rodders

Post by rodders » Tue 20 Nov, 2012 5:47 pm

Great result James - unlucky re not being included for the ratings. Think that's also my best LMI result, although I notice not as big a field as usual so it was a better opportunity of a top 20 finish for me.

I really enjoyed the puzzles, although I found the wordsearch took far longer than the points it was worth. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it took me well over 20 minutes - time that would have been better spent solving Scrabble and Sigma Snake as it turns out. Probably need to brush up on tactics for that sort of puzzle next time round!
david mcneill wrote:In Word Nurikabe, I assumed that each word had to form a snake which didn't touch itself. I didn't get the answer out and I wonder whether this assumption was incorrect. I also didn't spot the no repeats in rows or columns for Word Stairs, so lost an easy 5 points there.
I also didn't notice that rule in Word Stairs, but that does now make it rather easier!

Re Word Nurikabe, I'm not sure whether that was an actual rule, but I think I have subsequently solved it correctly and that seems to be the case for individual words, although different words can touch diagonally.

sf2l

Post by sf2l » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 10:45 am

Identical comment re: word search. 20 minutes. Also, i typed the 5th row instead of the fourth, so it turns out I spent 20 minutes for 9.6 points.

I find the nurikabe was very easy, considering that each letter was part of a different name. and yes, every name had to form a snake like strip. The assignment of PAL and BRAM were immediate, shortly after NIKOLA; then the pair ULRICH and HIDEAKI, then the others. Definitively not worth the highest score of the contest.

Apart from this, a fantastic contest

uvo

Post by uvo » Wed 21 Nov, 2012 6:40 pm

sf2l wrote:I find the nurikabe was very easy, considering that each letter was part of a different name. and yes, every name had to form a snake like strip. The assignment of PAL and BRAM were immediate, shortly after NIKOLA; then the pair ULRICH and HIDEAKI, then the others. Definitively not worth the highest score of the contest.
Who couldn't the left H belong to THOMAS? I couldn't rule that out for some time.