Easter Countdown Puzzle Contest (1-24 April 2011)

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Easter Countdown Puzzle Contest (1-24 April 2011)

Post by PuzzleScot » Thu 31 Mar, 2011 4:33 pm

berni wrote:Anouncement: Tomorrow the "Easter Calender" will start: Like a normal advent calender, every day a new puzzle will pop up (actually three of them, one easy, one medium and one hard) until 24th of April, which is Easter Sunday this year, ending in a little surprise.
Highly recommended. All puzzle instructions are in German, but we will endeavour to translate and publish instructions in English.
For practice, head over to croco-puzzle:

Easter 2008 contest: http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Ostereiersuche/index.php

Prize puzzles + Archives (2003-2010): http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Preisraetse ... aetsel.php

Daily Surprise puzzle(s): http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Ue-Raetsel/ue-raetsel.php
(UKPA's active English discussion forum on the daily puzzle here)

Good luck.

david mcneill

Re: Easter Countdown Puzzle Contest (1-24 April)

Post by david mcneill » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 7:52 am

I can't log in to the Easter Calendar. My name and password don't seem to be recognised. Is there a separate log-in for this feature?

Any advice welcome.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 9:27 am

Must have entered my details incorrectly. Problem now sorted.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 01 Apr, 2011 11:55 am

I'd be very impressed to read a logical solution to today's "Hard" problem.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER: Spoilers for solution techniques within.
I was able to solve it, but more by intuition than anything else; the thought process was "Hmm, this is nominally a Hard puzzle, as well as supplying a very small number of starting digits. What would be the most surprising way to place the two blanks in the starting row of the labyrinth?" and the rest flowed in a reasonably similar vein. I have a suspicion that I use intuition when solving the puzzle type, at whatever level of difficulty, more frequently than I thought I did. At one level, this is satisfying; at another level, less so. Certainly it's reassuring to know that it is possible to solve the puzzle based on as few as a single digit, but it would be interesting to see the logical route.
Unrelatedly: are Easter Calendars frequently found items in Germany? I don't recall ever seeing such a thing in the UK.

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:48 am

In what sense is the Easter calendar a competition? I have been doing the puzzles each day but probably won't be able to do them the week after next. Is it possible to do the puzzles later?

I also don't understand the statistics. The numbers for days 1 and 2 seemed to increase, drop down and then start increasing again. Is it possible to see one's personal record of puzzles completed? Or to see other people's records?

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:33 pm

david mcneill wrote:I also don't understand the statistics. The numbers for days 1 and 2 seemed to increase, drop down and then start increasing again.
I interpret the numbers as being "the number of people who have solved exactly that many puzzles of that difficulty". Accordingly, if you've solved all four puzzles of one level of difficulty then you'll show up in the "4" column, if you've solved the first three puzzles of one level of difficulty but are yet to complete (or even try) today's then you'll show up in the "3" column, and so on.

I hope to get all the way in the Leicht category and hope to be able to crack today's Mittel category problem when I come back to it later, but I'm not sure if I'll spend enough time on the Schwer-category day 3 Killer Sudoku to get it correct and to continue to progress on the Schwer track. I don't know if there is a way to progress past particular puzzles on which you are stuck; in truth, I'm guessing not.

Is it a competition? Yes, but more of a "player vs. the calendar" competition rather than a "player vs. player" one, I suppose.

sknight

Post by sknight » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:32 pm

Whatever the statistics mean, at least I feel as though I emerged from this morning's ABCD-Raetsel triptych with a better understanding of the genre. Going through the calendar is going to provide pretty good systematic training in a few puzzle types I'm not comfortable with.

motris

Post by motris » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:38 pm

The numbers give the total count of solvers who have advanced through that given puzzle but are no further. If you are fully done with the open path at a level and click on the egg again, you can get a listing of who else is all the way through, but I don't know any other way to see that kind of data.

In the past, on the advent calendars, you could earn bonuses that let you skip over a puzzle or two when you got stuck. I don't see that yet but perhaps there will be some possibility of getting past a "hard" puzzle you cannot do.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 6:43 am

I've done them all on the day they've been posted so far, but is there a problem if you miss a day? Or do the puzzles just sort of stack up?

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 8:06 am

They're stacking up for me, so safe to miss a day or few...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:45 pm

No spoilers, but it's worth making it through, and we may have to start discussing what happens afterwards within the spoiler tags.

I've made it through only on the light difficulty level, being stuck at the snake on the middle difficulty level (and wayyyyyy behind on the hard difficulty level). What happens if you get through on the middle difficulty level, compared to the light one? More of the same, or something different?

motris

Post by motris » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:51 pm

PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I'm pretty sure you get to the exact same Insel der Ratsel like place with new puzzles and such regardless of the level (I've taken the ladder from the three choices and seen no difference). The problem I have is that German-to-English translations are often rubbish, even before seeing the tricks of the Insel. I'm going to get as far as I can for now to become a resource for the future by private message I suppose.

motris

Post by motris » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:53 am

And I can now definitely say it's worth going through this "mini"-Insel. Excellent Easter Gift Berni! A little slow at the start for me as I was working around an unclear Kakuro translation, but otherwise then very smooth and fun solving.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 8:33 am

motris wrote:
And I can now definitely say it's worth going through this "mini"-Insel. Excellent Easter Gift Berni! A little slow at the start for me as I was working around an unclear Kakuro translation, but otherwise then very smooth and fun solving.
Any chance of a translation on the
Kakuro Variant
, Tom? Can't figure out what it means at all...

motris

Post by motris » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 8:53 am

If you could read German, you would learn exactly this from the instructions for A/Kakurovariante: Insert a digit from 1 to 9 into each cell so that the sum of the digits matches the given entry. In the entries of odd length, no digits repeat (same as normal kakuro). In the entries of even length, each digit used in the sum must appear exactly twice (this is what is different). The digits in the gray row are the digits to enter for the submission.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:06 am

Sorry, Tom, but I don't follow how that applies to the grid.
Even with those adjusted rules, how are you supposed to get a two digit answer that totals, for example, 41 (top right)? Is there an extra level of puzzle here that I'm supposed to be deducing?

transkrautor

Post by transkrautor » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 2:20 pm

You are right, drsteve, there is an additional level of puzzle involved. It should be possible to figure it out without knowledge of German - but I might be the wrong person to make that claim...

motris

Post by motris » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 3:39 pm

If you thought your sticking point was not understanding the translation, know that you now have the rules you are supposed to use on the Kakuro. If the rules don't make sense for the puzzle you are seeing, then that is a sign you may need to dig a little deeper into the mysteries of the island.

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:05 pm

Thanks guys. This is going to make my head hurt...

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 7:48 pm

drsteve wrote:Thanks guys. This is going to make my head hurt...
Ditto!

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 11:50 am

Oh wow. That certainly was like jumping down the rabbit hole. I recommend having lots of time to yourself before giving this a serious crack.

Great job Berni!

chimp59

Post by chimp59 » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 2:43 pm

I've figured out how the puzzle works but can't do them online as with all the others. Is it me, my computer or do you have to do them offline/

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 25 Apr, 2011 10:35 pm

yeah the puzzles are all image files, so you either have to print them out to solve them, or do them in something like MS paint (which for my money is a safer bet)

david mcneill

Post by david mcneill » Wed 27 Apr, 2011 2:11 pm

Really enjoyed the final stages of the Easter spectacular. However, my work computer and my laptops at home all displayed different information. In particular, the A and B options beneath the objects (also required for Insel der Ratsel) were not available on my work computer. Which software do I need to update? I'm not sure which environment this runs in.

Thank you,

David.