Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
yureklis

Tapa Variations Contest VII (5-6 March)

Post by yureklis » Mon 28 Feb, 2011 3:56 pm

TVC VII - week 3,

Instruction Booklet of TVC VII has been published, please check LMI forum,

http://logicmastersindia.com/forum/foru ... asp?fid=41

Calavera

Re: Tapa Variations Contest VII (5-6 March)

Post by Calavera » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 12:16 am

Warning: Right now the contest file is not printable with the password given to you when starting the contest. I've posted at LMI about it...

debmohanty

Post by debmohanty » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 1:02 am

Calavera wrote:Warning: Right now the contest file is not printable with the password given to you when starting the contest. I've posted at LMI about it...
That was strange, because one more player was already able to print.

In any case, I uploaded a new pdf file, and Calavera reported that it is printing fine.

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 2:28 am

Well, all programs I have available (Safari, Preview and Adobe Acrobat Professional) agreed that the password only provided reading rights. Having created PDFs for contest myself I know that there can be a different password for reading and printing ("admin password").
Why another player was able to print is a little bit harder to explain. But I do remember from the time that I was working on manipulating PDFs (in the legal programming sense) that I read something about the password-protection not being water tight. So maybe he is using a program that isn't following the regulations set by Adobe as strictly as my programs do!?

In any case it was a very enjoyable contest although it became a little bit later than I planned ;). I especially enjoyed Mastermind, Progressive and the big versions of Hungarian and Make Room. Too bad my last Mastermind solution was about 10 seconds late :D.

Greetings,

Calavera

detuned

Post by detuned » Sat 05 Mar, 2011 6:37 pm

Interesting - submitting the restoration slightly late ended up in me losing 6 points - I shouldn't have bothered! I guess this serves me right for not reading the instructions before taking a test.

Also a bit miffed with the typo costing me the 69 points for make room for tapa, but I guess I can't complain too much. Glad I could actually do one of these for a change!

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm glad I didn't attempt the large Pentapa with the clock running, and even more glad that I DID afterwards. Hope this isn't too spoilerish, but the starting point was beautifully unexpected!

detuned

Post by detuned » Mon 07 Mar, 2011 7:07 pm

Ditto that Nick - a really excellent twist in the mould of the non-consecutive fillomino from last week!