UK Puzzle League 2020-2021

Information and discussion on Puzzle Competitions
pinkagape

UK Puzzle League 2020-2021

Post by pinkagape » Sun 06 Sep, 2020 6:48 pm

We’re going to have a UK Puzzle League to give all of us something to aim for. All UK puzzlers are welcome to join a division and compete in monthly puzzles over six months to decide division winners and an overall UK League Champion.

If you have not competed regularly in the past, Division D is for you. Each month will have a set of a single type of puzzles for you to complete against the clock.
If you’re looking for more challenge, we have Division C which will have a mix of UK set puzzles and some of the other open online competitions, and Divisions A and B which will take their scores from open online competitions.

If you would like to compete, please send an email containing your name, your UKPA username and the division you would expect to be in, to adam@ukpuzzles.org to register your interest. Your recent record in UK competitions, Puzzle Grand Prix and Puzzle Ramayan will determine your initial division. If you think you have other relevant experience and would like this to be considered in your division placement, please include this in your email. Divisions will be formed on 15th October, so please register your interest by then.

Round 1 of Division D will be on the weekend containing 10th October and will focus on Fillomino puzzles. We’ll post practice puzzles throughout September for you to develop your skills. Divisions A, B and C will commence later in the year, and a more detailed schedule will be published once the divisions are formed.

detuned

Re: UK Puzzle League 2020-2021

Post by detuned » Tue 08 Sep, 2020 11:18 pm

Can we register our interest here as well? If so, I’d like to register my interest, although I’d caveat that I have more interest currently in the UK set puzzles than I do in the other open competitions.

Well done on showing some much needed initiative Adam :)

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Wed 09 Sep, 2020 3:57 am

Hi Tom

Yes, I’m happy for interested UK puzzlers to register their interest here if they’d prefer.

A reminder that I require your name, your UKPA username and which division you expect to be in.

The UK created puzzles will still be available to competitors in higher divisions, don’t worry!

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Sat 12 Sep, 2020 7:04 pm

Anyone who is considering joining but unsure about Fillomino can check the Puzzle Rules and Tips board to see the rules and try some examples.

emma

Post by emma » Tue 15 Sep, 2020 6:44 pm

It would be good to have some easy-to-find publicity for the beginners' division that we can point people at - front page of the website, for instance. It makes it easier to share on Facebook/Twitter if we can give a link where people can find something. It might be most useful to have something that is mainly about Division D and adds something saying to look here for information about the higher divisions.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Mon 28 Sep, 2020 7:39 pm

Evening all. About a week or so now until the first round of beginners puzzles is released, so make sure you've been practising your Fillomino if you're thinking of competing.

Everyone will be eligible to have a go at these puzzles, but UK puzzlers, remember to register for the League if you'd like a spot in one of the divisions to see if you can win.

Asandhu1

Post by Asandhu1 » Sun 04 Oct, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi. I’m new to the UKPA and have already sent an email to you but I was just wondering how the competition works (how the puzzles will become available, how long we have for them and where we should submit answers). Thanks for organising this and I’m looking forward to trying new types of puzzles and seeing new techniques to solve them.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Mon 05 Oct, 2020 7:50 am

Morning Adam

There’s another thread about this - Division D - but in a couple of days I will add the puzzles as a pdf to the forum, send a reminder email to those of you in Division D, and then you’ll need to print the puzzles, time yourself doing them, and email me your times and solutions.

I hope that a week will give you enough time to complete the whole set, but this is a new competition, so if it turns out that more time is required (or fewer puzzles) then we can adapt in future months.

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Thu 15 Oct, 2020 8:11 pm

Evening all

As promised, here are the Divisions for the inaugural UK Puzzle League.

Any latecomers can definitely be slotted into Divisions C and D, even during the season. Over the next few weeks, it should be possible to slot in some extras into A and B if necessary, but come January, these will be fixed for the year.

Threads for each Division will be started in the next few days, outlining the puzzle schedule for the season.

Division A

Adam Bissett
Tom Collyer
Freddie Hand
David McNeill
Matthew White
Neil Zussman

Division B

Sam Cappleman-Lymes
Michael Collins
Roderick Grafton
Emma McCaughan
AJ Moore

Division C

Maurice Blount
Jeffery Dick
Eva Myers
Thomas Powell
Liane Robinson

Division D

Niraj Alok
Laura Baxter
David Collison
Erin Hamalainen
Adam Sandhu

8ll8hi9s1

Post by 8ll8hi9s1 » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello!

I am completely new to the UKPA (and therefore all the procedures etc..) would I be able to join this as a brand new user here?

Many thanks,
S

pinkagape

Post by pinkagape » Tue 24 Nov, 2020 8:32 pm

Yes, if you’re eligible for a UK passport, you can join in the league. Take a look at the Fillomino and Tapa rounds to get a feel of them and get ready for the December competition. Ask any questions here.