Any techies out there with a fix?
Yes, never use IE!

drsteve

Re: croco-puzzle

Post by drsteve » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 8:13 pm

PuzzleScot wrote:
Any techies out there with a fix?
Yes, never use IE!
Is that Croco-Puzzle advice or life advice?

ronaldx

Post by ronaldx » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 9:42 pm

sounds like a problem with Java in IE. try updating IE and updating Java, and restarting?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 10 Feb, 2011 9:46 pm

ronaldx wrote:sounds like a problem with Java in IE. try updating IE and updating Java, and restarting?
Both up to date - managed to do the two puzzles today via Chrome (although had to look up the Doppelblock instructions during the time!). Will try again with IE tomorrow.

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 8:32 am

Many congratulations to DavidMcN on his outright win in yesterday's Doppel Block puzzle! This may be a first for the UK Croco-Puzzle contingent - unless, of course, you know otherwise... :)

detuned

Post by detuned » Fri 11 Feb, 2011 4:46 pm

I've been close but no cigar on a couple of occasions, but not hit the #1 yet. Nicely done David!

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 10:35 am

nickdeller wrote:Thank kyu! ;-)

I've been pondering, ponderously... if we take into consideration the group of players DavidMcN, detuned, dickoon, oenomel, PuzzleScot, rodders, ronaldx, when do we think we'll first be celebrating two new kyu/Dan awards on the same day? I think it'll happen before the end of February, though I wouldn't like to speculate which pair will be involved. :-)
Today! Nick and myself were both awarded the heady heights of 17th Kyu today.

afcwarren

Post by afcwarren » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 12:57 pm

Thought I'd start doing this a few days ago. Interesting results for me today - at the time of writing, 12th in the first puzzle and 5th bottom in the other! Although, seeing as I had to find out what the instruction were, translate them and then wait for the Eureka moment of realising that the rules should include the fact each pill was individually contained each total from 1-10, I thought 43 minutes wasn't too bad! :D

Following on from that point, I found a Czech version of the rules (http://www.croco-puzzle.com/Dokumente/S ... uzzles.pdf) which was easier to copy and paste into Google Translate but does anyone know of an English version as, not for the first time, I came across a puzzle grid on here I had no clue on?

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 2:48 pm

I'd recommend having a look at the Priesratsel puzzles as there's normally an example puzzle you can go through in your own time. And if all else fails, you can laboriously copy out the text in the instructions by hand into google translate without having to worry about time!

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 3:35 pm

Another option might be the puzzle wiki of the Logic Masters Germany: http://wiki.logic-masters.de/index.php? ... tselart/de. I linked the German version of the wiki so that you can easier find the puzzle you're looking for. Then hopefully there's an English version you can switch to. If that's not the case you can still copy it easier than the instructions in the applet.

Edit: Somehow my link doesn't want to display the way I expect it to. Might be the "=" or the "ä"... Now I removed the tags so that it doesn't look that ugly anymore.
Last edited by Calavera on Sun 13 Feb, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 8:25 pm

afcwarren wrote:Thought I'd start doing this a few days ago.
Welcome!

afcwarren

Post by afcwarren » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for the link, Calavera. That works just fine seeing as I use Google Chrome and it auto-translates for me :D

And thanks too for the heads-up, detuned, much easier to practice first!

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 11:41 pm

Forget technical troubles, I'm having serious trouble with my brain when doing these. Only started a couple of days ago and seem incapable of spotting the simplest of mistakes when submitting solutions.

Hopefully practice will make perfect.

detuned

Post by detuned » Sun 13 Feb, 2011 11:59 pm

Steve - it definitely happens to the best of us: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=85&start=175#p2676

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Tue 15 Feb, 2011 9:09 am

Still happening - check out my stunning Pillen score today!

detuned

Post by detuned » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:32 am

oh come on...how much closer can I get before actually hitting top of the list :roll:

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 11:37 am

detuned wrote:oh come on...how much closer can I get before actually hitting top of the list :roll:
1 second closer! Serve you right for double-checking. :D

Least said about my position in that list (and several of the recent lists), the better... I'm not built for speed! :o Especially not when I make a total hash of the first attempt...

PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 1:52 pm

nickdeller wrote:I'm not built for speed!
Ditto, in more ways than one. :lol:

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Wed 16 Feb, 2011 3:30 pm

Hurrah! A decent score on one puzzle today! Just don't mention the Laser...

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 8:15 am

Lessons to learn 1: Japanese Sums needs the blanks filled in as well as the numbers...

dickoon

Post by dickoon » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 12:38 pm

Lessons to learn 2: read the UKPA forum before you do the day's Ue-ratsels, to stop you having to come and make the same post as the previous poster. :roll:

...any more for any more?

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:16 pm

dickoon wrote:Lessons to learn 2: read the UKPA forum before you do the day's Ue-ratsels, to stop you having to come and make the same post as the previous poster. :roll:

Um, the previous post had nothing to do with Japanese Sums. Are you referring to something from pages past?

nickdeller

Post by nickdeller » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 2:52 pm

drsteve wrote:
dickoon wrote:Lessons to learn 2: read the UKPA forum before you do the day's Ue-ratsels, to stop you having to come and make the same post as the previous poster. :roll:

Um, the previous post had nothing to do with Japanese Sums. Are you referring to something from pages past?
I assume Chris *also* failed to mark all the blanks in the Japanese Sums. Personally, I marked all the blanks in the Japanese Sums with aplomb!

I also placed exactly ten 8s in the Gebietsummen grid! :oops:

drsteve

Post by drsteve » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 3:13 pm

nickdeller wrote: Um, the previous post had nothing to do with Japanese Sums. Are you referring to something from pages past?
I assume Chris *also* failed to mark all the blanks in the Japanese Sums. Personally, I marked all the blanks in the Japanese Sums with aplomb!

I also placed exactly ten 8s in the Gebietsummen grid! :oops:[/quote]

Oh, duh! Now I understand. Apologies for being an idiot - won't be the last time...

By the way, is there an explanation as to how the scoring works on Croco - Puzzle, along with this kyu/Dan business? Might be nice to be able to gauge how long it will take me to climb the greasy pole.

Calavera

Post by Calavera » Thu 17 Feb, 2011 7:08 pm

drsteve wrote:By the way, is there an explanation as to how the scoring works on Croco - Puzzle, along with this kyu/Dan business? Might be nice to be able to gauge how long it will take me to climb the greasy pole.
Yes, there is, although I'm not sure if it was already explained here. So here is the short version:

For each puzzle you solve (or better: start) you are assigned a "virtual" score between 0 (not solved/worst time) and 3000 (best time) with 1500 being at the median of all participants. The scores are in a logarithmic relation to the time. You can get an impression about that by looking at the table under "Technische Daten" which show the relevant data from the previous day.
After that the difference between your virtual score(s) and your current score is calculated, multiplied with 1/120 and then added to your score. Ignoring the fact that you probably improve during over time this algorithm should let you reach "your" rank in about a year if you attend every puzzle.

Calavera