Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by PuzzleScot »

Tomorrow my 200-average will be higher than my 50-average for the first time. I guess that means I've plateaued. I thought I was going to be the first to (under)achieve this feat (some others aren't that far behind), but checking up, paulredman beat me to it, presumably solely by virtue of being the first(?) UK croco-er. I predict kiwijam to be the last to do so from these shores.
nickdeller

Post by nickdeller »

Two things:

1) Put a link to Alan's page near the top of this page of comments: done.
2) Request for bye days on Thursday and Friday next week (2 and 3 February) please, and for the Monday (6 February) of the week following. I also won't be able to play a tie-breaker day next week, if one proves necessary.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

I think it's inherently wrong that James has felt he mustn't play croco, so he will lose, in order to eventually fall off the ladder.
It would be far better (if that's his, or anyone else's intention) if they could simply concede that week's match, then play along as they would normally do.

I haven't worked out how to remove anyone from the ladder, but so long as they don't mind their times being published, it doesn't matter, as they simply don't get matches. If that's a problem, then I can spend some time to work out how to do this (without messing up historic tables).
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

drsteve 8 oenomel 2
erika 4 afcwarren 6
ronaldx 6 rodders 4
kiwijam 4 PuzzleScot 6
dickoon 1 detuned 9

Congratulations to our winners!

The next week's matches are

drsteve - afcwarren
ronaldx - oenomel
PuzzleScot - erika
detuned - rodders
kiwijam - puzzlemad

Waiting list: Dataman, dickoon

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine; if you wish to drop out then just fade away down the ladder. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

PuzzleScot wrote:It would be far better (if that's his, or anyone else's intention) if they could simply concede that week's match, then play along as they would normally do.
Agreed; sounds reasonable. For completeness, if both players were to want to concede a match against each other, both with the intention to repeatedly concede until they fell off the bottom, then I would consider it a no-score draw and reluctantly select one person at random to move up or down. If sufficiently many people wish to concede their way off the ladder then we will need to think again about its viability. :)
rodders

Post by rodders »

ronaldx 6 rodders 4
Can I request a steward's enquiry? I think Alan's page has me winning last week's match 6-4 rather than losing it. However, I haven't checked the daily results on the site to confirm this.

Slightly embarrassed as if I have won, it looks to be by virtue of Ronald missing 2 more matches than I did rather than me winning outright.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

You won Mon A/B; Tue B; Wed A/B; and Fri B = 6. Ronald won the the other 4. The score page is correct, Chris has made a (rare) transcription error!
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

dickoon wrote: Agreed; sounds reasonable. For completeness, if both players were to want to concede a match against each other, both with the intention to repeatedly concede until they fell off the bottom, then I would consider it a no-score draw and reluctantly select one person at random to move up or down. If sufficiently many people wish to concede their way off the ladder then we will need to think again about its viability. :)
Well I was happy to follow the rules as they were. In fact it added a whole new dimension to my week, strategically deciding which puzzles to do to ensure I couldn't win but still have some fun. And the more times I lost, the more puzzles I was allowed to do.. :)

But seeing as there is a new rule now, I shall officially test it out by requesting a concession this week to puzzlemad. Now as long as she doesn't concede also...
ronald

Post by ronald »

I would like to concede my way off the ladder; thanks.

N.B. I lost to rodders fair and square! Congratulations to him :)
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Yep, typo.

This week's matches should thus be

drsteve - afcwarren
rodders - oenomel
PuzzleScot - erika
detuned bye over ronaldx
puzzlemad bye over kiwijam
PuzzlerNickG

Post by PuzzlerNickG »

(Thu 2 Feb) Today's second puzzle, a Masyu, has been replaced with (presumably) a different Masyu puzzle. I didn't see the first puzzle so I've no idea what was wrong with it. When I tried to access it I got the message:

Das 2. Überraschungsrätsel ist vorrübergehend geblockt, da wir es austauschen müssen...
(Google Translate: The second Surprise puzzle is temporarily blocked, as we have to replace it ...)

I know that the highscore table for that puzzle was reset because I looked at it both before and after the puzzle was replaced.

If you solved the second puzzle before about 9.30 AM UK time you'll probably need to redo it.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Thanks for that Nick. I'd gone on this morning (and messed it up). Just had a quick look at lunch time, thought that something must have gone wrong as I was sure that I'd seen my time logged - set about resolving it expecting a time showing of several hours, so took my time with it then didn't know why I'd got a time of just the few minutes it had taken me. At least it won't be as many negative points for me.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Really?? I must admit I feel quite agrieved at this! I pulled out a sub-minute solve (top 10%) on that late last night, so went to bed confident I'd beaten erika on at least one today. I had considered asking a bye for today too... Hopefully I'll get home in time to repeat the coup on the new version.

I'd like to point out actually how impressed I am with some of the new blood here - erika, rodders, afcwarren are all doing magnificently, and I can see a real improvement on when they started out. Well done guys! It proves that practice works...
afcwarren

Post by afcwarren »

So what's the deal here in terms of the ladder? Are we to count none, both or only the latter version of the puzzle? Seeing as all the results have been taken down, can I presume neither version is to be counted?

I only ask because in my match vs drsteve (in my first ever championship match!), I won the first version and lost the second and with such a tight game (well, until I inevitably fail miserably on today's puzzles), it could be an important swing.
afcwarren

Post by afcwarren »

PuzzleScot wrote:I'd like to point out actually how impressed I am with some of the new blood here - erika, rodders, afcwarren are all doing magnificently, and I can see a real improvement on when they started out. Well done guys! It proves that practice works...
Oh, and thanks for the kind words. Indeed, 'tis the practice that has helped with my improvement but also having a 'ladder' does too. I certainly wouldn't have completed as many CrocoPuzzles as I have done without it.

It's a shame I can't make the Manchester puzzle competition as it would have been good to put the practice into, erm, practice.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

afcwarren wrote:So what's the deal here in terms of the ladder? Are we to count none, both or only the latter version of the puzzle? Seeing as all the results have been taken down, can I presume neither version is to be counted?
The table is populated automatically. It seems only fair to remove that puzzle from the history.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Agreed. Let's call it a retrospective bye day (ETA:) puzzle for everybody, and cross our fingers in hope that few (or, hopefully, no) puzzles are spoiled the same way in the future.
Last edited by dickoon on Fri 03 Feb, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

dickoon wrote:Agreed. Let's call it a retrospective bye day for everybody...
You mean "bye puzzle"? Surely there's no need to remove the other one too...
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Indeed, bye puzzle. Isn't that what I said? ;) *goes back to use edit function on previous post*
furudo.erika

Post by furudo.erika »

PuzzleScot wrote:Really?? I must admit I feel quite agrieved at this! I pulled out a sub-minute solve (top 10%) on that late last night, so went to bed confident I'd beaten erika on at least one today. I had considered asking a bye for today too... Hopefully I'll get home in time to repeat the coup on the new version.

I'd like to point out actually how impressed I am with some of the new blood here - erika, rodders, afcwarren are all doing magnificently, and I can see a real improvement on when they started out. Well done guys! It proves that practice works...
Sorry, but even with my joint 3rd place Masyu taken away it's still 5-4 to me :D

I have to agree with afcwarren that without being on the ladder I wouldn't have done so many puzzles, so long may it continue.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

furudo.erika wrote:Sorry, but even with my joint 3rd place Masyu taken away it's still 5-4 to me :D
I noticed you'd put in a faster time, but didn't know if it was the original, or later puzzle. Well done!
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

drsteve 5 afcwarren 3 (and one drawn puzzle, plus the bye puzzle)
rodders 2 oenomel 4 (before the bye days, which covered the bye puzzle...)
PuzzleScot 4 erika 5 (plus the bye puzzle)
detuned bye over ronaldx
puzzlemad bye over kiwijam

The next week's matches are

drsteve - oenomel
afcwarren - erika
rodders - detuned
puzzlemad - PuzzleScot
Dataman bye over ronaldx

Waiting list: dickoon

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine; if you wish to drop out then just fade away down the ladder. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome. Next week, if the waiting list drops to length zero (which it will do unless we get a new player) then I will not promote myself to the fifth match, I will keep myself on the waiting list and we shall trim the league back to four matches.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

drsteve 5 oenomel 3 (and one bye day)
afcwarren 7 erika 2
rodders 6 detuned 4
puzzlemad 5 PuzzleScot 7 after extra time
Dataman bye over ronaldx

I have trimmed the fifth match due to a lack of numbers, meaning that the next week's matches are

drsteve - afcwarren
oenomel - rodders
erika - PuzzleScot
detuned - Dataman

Waiting list: dickoon, puzzlemad

Errors and exceptions excepted. Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

drsteve 6 afcwarren 5 after extra time
oenomel 7 rodders 5 after extra time
erika 6 PuzzleScot 4
detuned 108 Dataman 02

Congratulations to our winners! Another exciting week. Next week's matches are:

drsteve - oenomel
afcwarren - erika
rodders - detuned
PuzzleScot - dickoon

Waiting list: puzzlemad, Dataman

Errors and omissions excepted. (ETA: case in point. Oops...) Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine. Feel free to concede a match, or all your future matches. New players are welcome and I shall change the length of the ladder if the waiting list reaches four or zero.
Last edited by dickoon on Sat 25 Feb, 2012 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PuzzlerNickG

Post by PuzzlerNickG »

Whilst my performance last week was mostly woeful, I would like the record to show that I lost 8:2 to detuned and not 10:0 as shown above.

If only there were more Arukone and Sternenhimmel. :)