Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
dickoon

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by dickoon »

All courtesy of Alan's croco-puzzle matrix, modified for the effect of bye days:

kiwijam 7 ronaldx 5 after extra time
detuned 8 drsteve 2
oenomel 6 puzzlemad 0
afcwarren 3 erika 5 (Alan, I don't think the logic is right here - the tie-break scores shouldn't be counted in this case, but the result is the same)

Congratulations to our winners, particularly to James on a second successive very close title defence after a long series of title changes, but also to Thomas on his first ladder victory!

The next week's matches are

kiwijam - detuned
ronaldx - oenomel
drsteve - erika
puzzlemad - rodders

Waiting list: PuzzleScot, dickoon, afcwarren

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible and if one more person wants to join then I'll extend the ladder from 8 to 10.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

dickoon wrote:afcwarren 3 erika 5 (Alan, I don't think the logic is right here - the tie-break scores shouldn't be counted in this case, but the result is the same)
It is intentionally this way - they tied on the 2 puzzles that neither completed, so got 1/2 point each. Saturday's results weren't included.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

PuzzleScot wrote:It is intentionally this way - they tied on the 2 puzzles that neither completed, so got 1/2 point each. Saturday's results weren't included.
Ahh! Makes sense. I just score it 0-0 rather than 0.5-0.5. The results are equivalent so we're both right, but at least I now understand. :) My bad!
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Here's hoping that this week's puzzles are a bit shorter... I think I missed at least three this week due to having other things to do - like work, eat and sleep :D
detuned

Post by detuned »

I should offer my apologies to James for missing out the ladder on Wednesday - I could have sworn I'd done the puzzles but apparently I've missed those two completely. I guess they were puzzles I'm not as strong on as say, killer sudoku, and perhaps I was unlikely to have beaten James on them anyway, but even so in terms of the integrity of the ladder I want to say that me not "competing" was due to my own stupidity rather than any sort of concession!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

No problem Tom, I'm not disappointed when an opponent misses a puzzle. I've also skipped two puzzles this week, so maybe that partially cancels it out? (a puzzle type I'd rather practise unofficially the day after, rather than officially on the day - and also big congratulations on your two blisteringly fast times) Actually I wish I'd skipped a few more, I've been getting some big negatives this week, and I promise to feel a little guilty if I end up with a win that is not entirely deserved... but it's not decided yet! :?
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Hello from our brand new location within "Daily Puzzles"! Echo... echo... echo... Sorry about the late service; this was Thanksgiving weekend, which is a big deal when you have a wife from the US.

Here are the results of last week's croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

kiwijam 7 detuned 3
ronaldx 8 oenomel 2
drsteve 9 erika 1
puzzlemad 1 rodders 9

Congratulations to our winners!

kiwijam - ronaldx
detuned - drsteve
oenomel - rodders
erika - PuzzleScot

Waiting list: dickoon, afcwarren, puzzlemad

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible and if one more person wants to join then I'll extend the ladder from 8 to 10.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

kiwijam 7 ronaldx 5 (after extra time)
detuned 4 drsteve 6
oenomel 4 rodders 6
erika 8 PuzzleScot 2

Congratulations to our winners! Three classic confrontations prove as close as ever, and the fourth was hit by real life intervening.

kiwijam - drsteve
rodders - ronaldx
erika - detuned
oenomel - dickoon

Waiting list: afcwarren, puzzlemad, PuzzleScot

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible and if one more person wants to join then I'll extend the ladder from 8 to 10. On the other hand, if anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's perfectly fine too. :) (If you want to drop out but aren't on the waiting list, that's perfectly fine as well - just stop playing and you'll work your way down to the waiting list soon enough!)
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

dickoon wrote:and the fourth was hit by real life intervening.
Yeah, sorry about the non-match erika!
nickdeller

Post by nickdeller »

Thinking slightly ahead, are we planning to take any time off around the Christmas and New Year period, or just plough on through regardless? I haven't got a preference either way myself, but perhaps some other players do?
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Great question! I hadn't thought about it and welcome opinions on the matter.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

I say carry on regardless. We can all find/need that few minutes respite from festive goings on. TBH, I'm not really paying any attention to the ladder anyway - I just play for 'fun' anyways...
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

kiwijam - drsteve finished 5-5 and is going to extra time!
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

dickoon wrote:kiwijam - drsteve finished 5-5 and is going to extra time!
Congrats, James. V bad day for me today, puzzle-wise
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Here are the results of last week's fixtures on the croco-puzzle ladder, courtesy as ever of Alan's page.

kiwijam 7 drsteve 5 after extra time
rodders 0 ronaldx 10
erika 6 detuned 4
oenomel 10 dickoon 0

Congratulations to our winners! I did my first Koralle puzzles this week and discovered that I rather enjoy them.

kiwijam - ronaldx
erika - drsteve
oenomel - rodders
detuned - afcwarren

Waiting list: puzzlemad, PuzzleScot, dickoon

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible and if one more person wants to join then I'll extend the ladder from 8 to 10. On the other hand, if anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's perfectly fine too. :) (If you want to drop out but aren't on the waiting list, that's perfectly fine as well - just stop playing and you'll work your way down to the waiting list soon enough!) Thoughts are welcome about potentially taking a break for Christmas, too.
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Giving plenty of notice here - going to need a bye for Monday and Tuesday of next week. Wednesday will be a push too, but can't ask for three days...
afcwarren

Post by afcwarren »

I have a funeral to go to on Friday so can I ask for a bye please? I may be able to get them done on Thursday night when they become available but don't want to risk it.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Both requests are fine and I hope things go well.
PuzzlerNickG

Post by PuzzlerNickG »

I feel it's time to step into the ring, so please add me to the waiting list. My nickname over at croco-puzzle is Dataman.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Welcome! Your scores will start being logged as of today. I'll leave it to dickoon to determine matches etc.
A shorter waiting list, methinks - woohoo!
detuned

Post by detuned »

ugh - just checked that page. What an awful run I've been on recently!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

And I'm going to quietly announce my intention to drop off the list soon (nothing to do with Nick joining I hasten to add!).
I want to cut back my croco-puzzling a little in 2012 (I've already started skipping puzzles in recent weeks, but I don't feel this is really in the spirit of the ladder). Although my hope is still to squeeze up another rank or two to reach 1st Dan.
Also I feel a little bit guilty about preventing any parity-swapping for a couple of months now, as you'll all be getting sick of seeing the same old opponents. ;-)
So I'll compete for two more weeks until the year finishes, then skip puzzles as required to drop down.
Thanks for a lot of fun battles this year, and Merry Christmas from summery NZ.
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Nick. That's you on the list now, ready for next week, or whenever you get to join in.
Shortcuts needed to be de-shortcut-ed in my PHP script.
If anything looks odd in the table, probably my fault - just let me know.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

kiwijam 8 ronaldx 2
erika 4 drsteve 6
oenomel 7 rodders 3
detuned 3 afcwarren 5 (bearing in mind the bye day request)

Congratulations to our winners! Commiserations to Thomas C., in particular, for being the first person to both have held the championship and be relegated from the ladder. I'm sure you'll challenge for the championship again before long at all.

kiwijam - drsteve
ronaldx - oenomel
afcwarren - erika
rodders - puzzlemad
PuzzleScot - dickoon

Waiting list: Dataman, detuned

Byes are available; please give as much notice as possible. (Steve's requests for byes on Monday and Tuesday this week stand.) If anyone on the waiting list wants to drop out, that's fine; if you wish to drop out then just fade away down the ladder. (Thanks to James for the early notice. I'll believe that he can free himself from the croco-claws when I see it. :D) New players are welcome; if the waiting list gets up to four then I shall extend the ladder again, but if it drops to zero then I shall contract the ladder in order to give the relegation match a bit of bite.

Thoughts are welcome about potentially taking a break for Christmas; so far there is no consensus either way.
detuned

Post by detuned »

It certainly looks as if it's been a freak set of results leading to my relegation - some close matches and all - not to mention a couple of really rough days which haven't done much good for my croco rating either. I look forward to catching back up with James firstly on the main ladder, and hopefully in this little game too :)