Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

For the discussion of daily/weekly puzzles.
kiwijam

Re: Any interest in a UK croco-puzzle ladder?

Post by kiwijam »

Great work Alan, I can see this being useful during the week to find out what's going on!
One small suggestion is if you can highlight the scores for the week's 4 match-ups, then we can see how each of the matches is progressing.
Also a question: does it require a person to update the data (once per day), or can it do that itself automatically?
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Thanks. I kept looking to see how I'd done against a.n.other in a given week, and it wasn't easy, so wrote this for myself really.
kiwijam wrote:does it require a person to update the data (once per day), or can it do that itself automatically?
Nobody needs to update it. Whenever anyone visits the main page, the first thing it does is check the croco high-scores, and updates my databases as necessary. If you're looking at historical data, it doesn't do this, to save unnecessary lookups on croco's server. ( link again, since we're on a new page )

[edit:] matches are now highlighted. Needs to be manually set in a table at the start of each week.
Not so easy to implement byes, so wysiwyg!
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Yeeeeeesssss! I achieved my only realistic goal for the week - AVOID BEING WHITEWASHED! Sorry to spoil your scoresheet Tom ;)
detuned

Post by detuned »

Curses - if only I'd rushed straight to testen instead of having a quick check first :roll: ! Actually, as a slightly more serious point I still find the tents interface a little disconcerting as I much prefer to link tents to trees with a line solving on paper, rather than have to manually cross out the trees once I know they've been done. I don't quite seem to have the ability to store this information in my head. Ditto this actually and things like heyawake and star battle where I still find it useful to dot in definitely "blank" squares.

Anyway, I was curious to see how common whitewashes were, and had a play with your excellent script there Alan. In fairness there seem to be very few 10-0's where both people have played all 10 puzzles!
For the latest UK puzzle news direct to your inbox, please consider joining the UK Puzzle Association's mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/g/ukpa-newsletter
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Excellent match this week - well played James. I think at least four of the matches came down to a matter of seconds.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

In a rush, so I'm going to crib from Alan's page for now:

kiwijam 6 drsteve 4
ronaldx 7 oenomel 3
detuned 8 PuzzleScot 2
rodders 4 dickoon 6

More ASAP!
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Still in a rush. Next week's fixtures are:

kiwijam - ronaldx
detuned - drsteve
dickoon - oenomel
PuzzleScot - afcwarren

Waiting list: puzzlemad, erika, rodders

If anyone wants to join the list, or at maybe even just get their croco-puzzle performances up on Alan's big board, please speak up. Likewise, please request byes ASAP.
nickdeller

Post by nickdeller »

Unavailable next Saturday, so count this as a request for a total-time tie-break after Friday's puzzles if necessary.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

kiwijam 9 ronaldx 1
detuned 3 drsteve 7
dickoon 0 oenomel 10
PuzzleScot 4 afcwarren 6

All courtesy of Alan's page! This will let you score up any hypothetical match you like.

Next week:

kiwijam - drsteve
ronaldx - oenomel
afcwarren - detuned
dickoon - puzzlemad

Waiting list: erika, rodders, PuzzleScot

Week after that will be off as everyone's off to Eger. :)
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

Well, looking at the current High Score Table for today, James can have today's matches for free if he finishes them, as I don't have 45 minutes (minimum) to spend on Croc.
afcwarren

Post by afcwarren »

Ouch. Not sure how this will work with my lunch 'hour'. It was a tough enough draw as it was!
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

If only I'd read your message before doing the puzzles, Steve, I would have happily skipped my worst puzzle-type too (and avoided the inevitable -4).
And as for "everyone's off to Eger", alas I wish it were true...
drsteve

Post by drsteve »

kiwijam wrote:If only I'd read your message before doing the puzzles, Steve, I would have happily skipped my worst puzzle-type too (and avoided the inevitable -4).
And as for "everyone's off to Eger", alas I wish it were true...
Ditto... It looks like a lovely set of puzzles. Alas, work has to come first for me. Fingers crossed for next year.
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

It amuses me that the top three puzzlers in the last couple of weeks all got an identical time on Thursday's puzzle two - and were comfortably beaten by 5 of the other 6 UK times for that puzzle.
nickdeller

Post by nickdeller »

By my reckoning, 8 of the 11 uk-crocs have solved today's Bahnhofe so far, and everyone's in the top 56 of the 216 completed solves as I write. Is that as well as we've ever collectively done on a given puzzle, do you suppose? Well done everyone!

Oh, and congrats to ronaldx - the target you set me in the tiebreaker today under pressure was some distance beyond my capabilities and would have given nearly everybody a problem! :-)
PuzzleScot
Site Admin

Post by PuzzleScot »

Sorry guys - I forgot to set up the active matches table for this week. Done now.
Remarkable result on Thursday with 3 tied! It would be amazing to see all 3 solves side-by side on video. Puts a new twist on "Great minds think alike"!
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

kiwijam 5 drsteve 4 (and one tie!)
ronaldx 7 oenomel 5 after extra time
afcwarren 3 detuned 7
dickoon 1 puzzlemad 9

Congratulations to the winners!

Croco-Puzzle ladder service will resume after a week's break for the biggest puzzle contest of them all.
kiwijam

Post by kiwijam »

Just a quick confirmation (as I've only been half-paying attention and want to double-check): There are no croco-puzzle matches this week, we will resume on Monday Nov 14th.

Oh, and to those of you who are unfortunately unable to croco this week, my commiserations. We'll try not to have too much fun with our two puzzles per day... ;)
(PS Good luck!)
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Quite correct; no ladder matches this week.

I reckon Alan's page will keep tracking the scores, though, so if anyone wants a friendly that won't impact the ladder then you can look at the result yourself.
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Can I claim a bye on Monday please as I'll be in the midst of the 24hr. Hopefully I should get back early enough on Tuesday evening and be awake enough to do those.
Thanks,
Liane
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Absolutely! Best reason ever. :-)
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, domestic competition resumes. Byes are available as ever.

kiwijam - ronaldx
detuned - drsteve
oenomel - puzzlemad
afcwarren - erika

Waiting list: rodders, PuzzleScot, dickoon.
nickdeller

Post by nickdeller »

May I retrospectively request Tuesday as a bye day as a courtesy to Liane, Chris? It looks like the "hopefully" from the Monday bye request didn't come to fruition, and it seems unfair for me to claim ladder points from the day in the circumstances.
dickoon

Post by dickoon »

Very good call; thanks, Nick!
puzzlemad

Post by puzzlemad »

Thanks Nick for that. The flight home was delayed by 2 hours, so landed at Manchester at 9.30pm, got the bag, got the ticket at the train station at 9.58pm, ran to the 10pm train, got the 10.30 bus from Manchester and eventually arrived home at 11.20pm, dumped the bags and went to bed. Done one of today's but no time for the other one but that's my problem! Back into the swing of it on Thursday.